Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with Registration, can not remove old files so registration can not be completed

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem with Registration, can not remove old files so registration can not be completed

I have gone through the steps described but keep getting an error message that the file is open and in use so it can not be deleted. I have shut my computer down and restarted to assure this file is not open but get the same message. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: response and further information on my issue with registration

I believe you are looking at article 23124 - Error: "The serial number you have entered has already been registered and activated."

Within the folder "C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData", look for file "RegistrationData.xml".  Attempt to delete the file (instead of the folder). 

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Problem with Registration, can not remove old files so registration can not be completed

Hello Jenniferf,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Can you provide some additional details to your issue:
- Are you following the steps in a knowledgebase article? If yes, what is the article number?
- What is the file name that is in use and cannot be deleted?
- What is the original issue that led you to the article/deleting files?
Greg Martin
Sage

response and further information on my issue with registration

My original issue was I could not register my product after reloading (new processor).  Kept getting this serial number has already been registered message. Phone support reset my serial number but this did not resolve the issue. Phone support sent me a link which instructed me on how to remove the files so the registration would be possible but I get another error message that folder is in use. I have shut down and restarted my computer to assure no folders were open, shut down all applications via task master but still get the same message. I suspect this is a windows issue but thought someone might have encountered before. 

This is the link I was given. I am following the steps as directed for Sage ACT! Pro 2011

file name is :ActData, path is C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I believe you are looking at article 23124 - Error: "The serial number you have entered has already been registered and activated."

Within the folder "C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData", look for file "RegistrationData.xml".  Attempt to delete the file (instead of the folder). 

Greg Martin
Sage

thank you that worked. 

I am having the same problem, my question is how do i get to the c:\ address to get to file to delete registration data

go to your start up menu and do a search it will direct you to the right place (or at least that is what I did!)

it worked thank you.