Had a problem with Outlook locking up. I reinstalled Outlook, Still had same problem. Noticed in error message to Microsoft something about ACT7ext.dll. I unistalled ACT and Outlook started working fine. I re-install ACT and when I try to start it , I get a message like "Method not found. and something about license." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ACT several times. I am never asked for product key.
I fixed my problem. I had unistalled ACT! with "Add and Remove Programs" and a few times with the unistall on the ACT disc. I was finally able to ferrot out in Knowledge base on ACT website a uninstall program that I downloaded. When I tried it the first time. I was informed while running the program, that I needed to fix .net Frameworrk. I had to download a .net Framework from Microsoft. I then unistalled ACT using the downloaded Unistall program then reinstalled. It now works!