Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with Layouts

Problem with Layouts

I'm using the most recent version of ACT.  I created my own layout adding some new fields to the pre-existing fields.  I go to create a new database and want to utilize the same layout I created.  I have tried to download it, tried using the drop down menu, and while the labels appear, the fields are faded out and won't allow any data.  How can I fix this?  Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problem with Layouts

Hello Davidehannah,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The layout itself does not contain the underlying fields necessary within the database.  If your desire is to create a new database that does contain these fields, you can use the File > Save Copy As option to create a new 'Empty Copy'.  It will contain all of the fields, but none of the data.  You would then copy the layout from the original database to the new one.

See this article for further instructions: KB Article 19247

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thanks for your response.  The problem now is, I can't locate the original layout design exactly like I designed it.  In my  "master" or "original" database the fields show up with labels, but the boxes where the data is inputted is now  "greyed-out" meaning you can see the box, but there is no data.  In list view, the data is still there, just not appearing when you pop open a single database.  When I go into the layout design, the fields appear in my list, so it's not an issue of not creating the fields.  I need to get back to square one, in order to move forward with the steps you just recommended (which is still confusing to me, despite the KB Article and several others it links you to.  Thanks again for your help. 

Dave

Nickel Super Contributor

Dave, you can use the skeleton of your customized layout.  Then click in the grayed-out field, and you can select the appropriate field (uncheck the "include field label box). Hope that helps, Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)

Many thanks for that advice...it worked.