Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with Importing and updating existing contact records

Problem with Importing and updating existing contact records

I am using ACT Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

I have duplicate checking on with email address as the key. I imported a file with two fields, email and status. I only want to update the status field for any records that is a match, I do not want to add any records that don't match. So I chose the merge option "replace with source record". The first two records are a match so they were updated as I wanted. But none of the other matching records were updated.

Sage support team could not duplicate the problem and suggested to install SP1 which is the only difference between our installation theirs. After we installed SP1, I still have the same problem.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with Importing and updating existing contact records

Importing records can only update fields if the fiel;ds are blank... it can't replace the data in the fields.

The only way to do that currently is with an addon such as itImport:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1

Mike - thanks for your quick reply. Someone recommended OakMerge to me - how does it compare with itImport?

For simple stuff, like you're doing ... about the same.

I use itImport because of some powerful functions that I find useful

To clarify, the "Replace with source" option will replace the data in mapped fields, whether they are blank or not. The "Merge" option, only populates blank fields - it will not replace data. Both of these will only affect fields that you map during the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

Thank you for clarifying. What are the reasons that "Replace with source" only replaces data in my mapped "status" field for some imported matching contacts, and not other matching records? I am at wits end. Sage could not duplicate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

[ Edited ]

For clarification, did you see that only the first two records on the list were updated, and the the rest were not? If this is case, try deleting the third record on the sheet then doing the import. Could be an issue with that data on the sheet or the corresponding record in ACT!. I would also try running database maintenance by going to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greg,

I checked and repaired the database. re-sorted my Excel list and re-imported using Replace with source for matching records and Do Not Add for non-matching. ACT reported no records were imported. HELP!