Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with Act on reinstalled server.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem with Act on reinstalled server.

I get an error message "Cannot find database supplemental files folder <data name> in this location..." when trying to connect to an Act Pro 11 DB from a client workstation (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit). The DB opens fine on the server (Windows 2003). The server crashed and was reinstalled. I read this post:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Database-Supplemental-Files-Error/m-p/9518/highlight/true#M6017

The entry by jchristiansen (3rd down) in the link above looked promising. I did as he suggested and sure enough, the value for in CONFIGVALUE field in the CTL_DBCONFIG table was pointing to the local server "C" drive, and not the network share. Unfortunately when I tried to update the value to the share name, I received another error:

Msg 8152, Level 16, State 13, Server CONTROLLER\ACT7, Procedure PRC_ADD_EVENTLOG
, Line 50
String or binary data would be truncated.

So a procedure is firing off that is failing, and the update can't be made. I tried disabling the procedure but couldn't find the SQL to manage it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[SOLVED] Re: Problem with Act on reinstalled server.

Thank you for your suggestion. I actually already tried that particular troubleshooting guide without any luck.

I did, however, finally solve the problem, although I doubt what I did is recommended (read: perform at your own risk). 

I simply copied the server's ACTSHARE directory to the local drive of any user who used ACT. Now ACT loads and works properly. The workstations are still accessing the server's database and changes on one PC can be seen throughout. 

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with Act on reinstalled server.

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[SOLVED] Re: Problem with Act on reinstalled server.

Thank you for your suggestion. I actually already tried that particular troubleshooting guide without any luck.

I did, however, finally solve the problem, although I doubt what I did is recommended (read: perform at your own risk). 

I simply copied the server's ACTSHARE directory to the local drive of any user who used ACT. Now ACT loads and works properly. The workstations are still accessing the server's database and changes on one PC can be seen throughout. 

Thanks again for your help.