Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT! when resolution greater than 1024 x 768

Copper Contributor

Re: Problem with ACT! when resolution greater than 1024 x 768

[ Edited ]

According to a Sage support engineer the problem relates to graphics resolution; anything over 1024x768 causes stability problems including involuntary re-registration, failure to restore the layout (records section missing off the bottom of the screen is the usual problem), slow to respond - even with only 1200 records; issues with mail merge to Word 2007, occasional complete failure and need to reinstall the software with associated loss of files.

Is that enough for you?

As all you people across the pond seem to think the thing without blemish, perhaps you have a different product?

What really hacks me off is the attitude of the Sage support people who refuse to respond to requests for tech support without demands for more and more money.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

This sounds much more like a support engineer giving incorrect advice than any problem with the product.

Most problems with ACT! (accounts for over 70% of tech support enquiries) are actually issues with Microsoft components in the systems - the OS, .Net framework, SQL, Office, etc.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Albert,

With respect to your role as an IT engineer, a few basic questions answered can go a long way to finding a positive outcome for you.

1. What operating system you are using? Would this be 32bit or 64bit?

2. What version of ACT did you upgrade from? [If you were upgrading from 6.0 version, you may have to convert Word templates and layout screens.  There is no loss of files or data in this instance. For the records I have never seen ACT lose files.]

3. Did you happen to install MS Office or Word after installing ACT? - ACT needs to install after MS Office or this can lead to DLLs not linking properly. This will necessitate a reinstall of ACT! resulting in reregistration.

4. Have you looked into your graphics and monitor drivers? Since the display issues you are having point monitor or graphics drivers, you may want to verify that the drivers are up to date. As you know, with the advent of Vista and later operating systems there's now markedly different graphic display capabilities and standards. Here's a bit on this: MultiMonitor Support and Windows Vista

One of our gurus has suggested updating of display and graphic drivers can go a long way to fix your issues.

And for the record,as an IT guy, I know you know computing is not a perfect science, nor are the people that support the software programmers.

Please let us know your progress,

Victoria Marechal
ACC/Los Angeles
Skype Me: actcertified
www.crm-it.net
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm running multiple large monitors no problem.

I am however, known to grumble about the 96 DPI issue (see: http://community.act.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas/Allow-font-sizes-other-than-96-DPI/idc-p/85649 for details).

I wonder if perhaps the problem for you isn't the resolution but rather the DPI settings?

Ben.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

thanks for the helpful comments on this and also for remarks about the dpi settings.

I am running

W7 64 bit

Act 12.0.409.0 Hotfix 1 UK

MS Office 2007

Intel Q9600 ~ 2,5 GHz 4Gb RAM

The graphics issue has been present since W XP, through Vista and W7 32 bit and on the former platform. All these upgrages have in part been an attempt to fix it.

The re-registration issue has been present only on this install

MS Office 2010 will not work despite removing and reinstalling ACT afterwards. ACT support say it will not work but in my book it should as they are both currenr releases - they are just trying to force me into buying the next version of ACT! (!)

cheers

I have worked with the ACT! program for 18 years, 10 years in tech support and the remainder as an ACT! Certified Consultant. I've used the ACT! program with dual monitors since Version 4. The resolution of the monitors in my present dual monitor setup is 1280 X 1024. I've worked with many different sized databases including one with over 100,000 contact records. I have never experienced the problems you are describing.

As to what you were told by technical support, it is bogus and in my opinion and was likely used to get you off the phone. It shouldn't be done but I heard of it happening.

According to your version it is ACT! 2010 and you are correct, that version doesn't support Office 2010, ACT! 2011 is required for Office 2010 support. 

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Against my better judgement one of my clients is about to complete a setup using a cloud based database. Interestingly the client for this as sold as a new product will also not work with Office 2010. And what's more, the thing will only run with IE8.

And please will you stop changing MY post header - start your own if you don't like it!

Hello Albert,
Please see your Private Messages in this forum.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

so when someone comes up with a genuine honest complaint your answer is to ban them? Too much like Sage UK!

Access to PMs is denied.

Albert,
You have not been banned, and as I stated in my message to you I will try and get you the help you need. In regards to accessing the Private Messages, it looks like you should be able to do so as the messages I have sent appear to have been read. If you are clicking the link in my last reply, try instead clicking the envelope under "Go To" in the upper right of this page.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.