Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT! when resolution greater than 1024 x 768

Copper Contributor

Problem with ACT! when resolution greater than 1024 x 768

[ Edited ]

Since ACT! 4 there has been a persistent problem with this product which according to someone who should not have told me, they cannot fix. Basically the thing is not stable if run at a resolution greater than 1024 x 768. And if you run more than 1 screen it has complete hysterics on a regular basis. This instability extends to the product registration and manifests itself as unprovoked and frequent demands to re-register the product with Sage. Because users are only allowed to register the product a limited number of times this means I have to contact Sage to reset the counter.

If I could find an alternative I would - the problem is that ACT! stitches up the user by making the record content unreadable by anything else so users are forced to stay with it. And to add insult to injury, they release a new edition each year and data has to be converted to run with the new edition thus stopping you going back without loss of precious data,

And like it or not you have to buy the latest edition whenever there is a new version of Windows or MS Office - and it won't work with OpenOffice either.

I HATE IT

And yes Sage, you know who I am and if you had responded to requests for help without demands for more money I would not have bothered making a complaint here.

By the way, I am an IT engineer so I think I know what I am talking about.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with ACT! when resolution greater than 1024 x 768

[ Edited ]

Which version are you running?
4/5 was developed by Symantec
6.0 by Interact
7.0 and later by Sage

I have 4 screens, all larger than 1024/768 and have no problems

As to new versions of Windows/Office... you can expect a software product to be able to work with versions of other products that weren't released at the time the product was written

[ Edited ]
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 screens at 1080 x 1920.  Works fine.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

I am an Act! user since the early 90's when the software just started.
I have been satisfied with this product and I believe that when you are used to it, it turns out to be a great software.
When version 2005 came out, I felt somehow concerned because it was really slow compared to previous versions.
But from version 2009, this was fixed.
I do not see any problems with converting your databases from one version to the other, if you back up before converting.
Buying the last edition to have it working with MS Office is not proper to Act!, but to so many softwares upgrade this way and of course the customer is the one who always have to spend. But as far as I  am concerned, it is much worst when a software does not upgrade to Microsoft or other leading softwares latest versions. 

I hope you get your problems solved and start enjoying this nice contact management software.

arrigo

Bronze Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have 4 screens on my desktop - 2 at 1600x1200 on a Windows 7 machine and 2 are 1920x1200 on an XP machine.  Gotta say, I haven't experienced your issues.  Do I have issues?  Yes.  The ones you have?  No.  Sorry to hear about your frustrations.

Signature
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been using ACT! since ACT 4 and have been through them up to and including V12 which I am now running. Even the old versions had a problem with graphics as often you could not design a layout unless you reset the screen to 1024 x 768 first. ]

What makes me really mad is Sage insisting on payment for support for a produce that quite clearly has inherent faults!

I am about to write to the CEO - and we have a very useful small claims court process here in the UK which is just to thing to get their attention - nothing else seems to!

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

So what is your current problem with v12?  Monitor resolution?

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the previous subject line is misleading so I adapted it to reflect more than one opinion.

All versions of ACT dating back to 2004 (version 6.0) up to and including 2011 (version 13.1) have worked fine for me.

Sure there are some issues but there are issues with every CRM like product and I am certified on more than one.

What I have learned is that you cannot expect to use the same hardware and OS and expect newer versions over time of the same program to work without some issue cropping up.  Heck Microsoft updates their OS seemingly every week or so to address some issue.  This has impact on other programs.  If all developers ever do is troubleshoot then they wil never move forward with new technology.

Microsoft programs there OS.  Peripheral manufacturers develop their hardware and program the drivers.  Software solution providers do the same thing.  There are standards but they do not all work for the same company.  They get frustrated with each other because of this but customers don't care, they just want it to work.

As such I have had to upgrade Windows, Office, ACT, QuickBooks, Printers, Monitors and other accessories over time.  Everyone does at some point.  You just get the most mileage you can.  IT professionals understand this as well.

Sage is not alone in only supporting the last couple of  versions of their products.  They have to develop and sell upgrades and new licenses as a business for it to continue to make sense.  We all know this as a baseline for any business.  They hand off to the consultant channel as we support legacy as well as more recent versions, customize and train and oversee projects as well.

It's all about what each player needs to focus on and work with others to make things happen.  The question to me is how much is it worth to solve a particular problem, from each perspective:  the vendor, the user and the consultant.  I have heard pros and cons from each, and their is always some balance that comes out to continue forward.  Otherwise there are other soluitons with their own pros and cons as well.

[ Edited ]

It's interesting to note that during the ACT! 2006-2007 releases, any negative post would get replies from many users agreeing with the flame of Sage's version of ACT!

Seems the product has at least improved to the point that this is no-longer the case.

A very good sign