Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista

Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista

Hello,

I have tried many times now to install ACT!7 on either of my computers.  It seems to get right down to the final stage of intallation then stops and says "Error 1713. Act! cannot install one of its required products.  Contact your tech support group."

Then I hit enter, and it says immediately, "Error 1603 Fatal Error during installation.  Consult Windows installer help (msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

I have gone to that website, but from what I understand I think it is the SQL server on my system that is the problem?  I have tried to install the SQL server from the Act! 7 CD, and seems to go throught the steps ok, but when I run the Act!7 install again, it says the exact same error messages as above.

So needless to say, the software is not installed on my system yet.  Is this a common problem?  It is the first time a bought product has not installed for me easily.

Can someone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

Shelly

Re: Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista

Well, good luck.  I recently purchased 2009 v 11 and have gotten that error numerous times.  I've tried everything listed here and am ready to just take it back.  I'll be watching here and see if they have anything more to offer you.

I am going to call Sage tomorrow to see if they have a solution, I have tried many things today from the MS website, and possible solutions, and none of them have worked.

I am exhausted.  Software just can't be this hard to use, this is the first time that something has not installed for me.

It seems to be the SQL server that is the problem, but I don't want to risk uninstalling or installing something wrong anymore.

I will post if they give me a solution tomorrow. 

If it does not work, I am going to take it back as well.

Re: Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista, error 1603 &1713

In the meantime, if anyone has any answers that would be appreciated.

I have tried investigating the error and incident ID's and it hasn't worked either.  I hope it is a simple answer to the problem, I can't see how I could be the only one having this problem.

I am surprised that no one has been able to answer this today.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Shelly, ACT! 7 won't install on Vista - only ACT! 2008 (10.0) or ACT! 2009 (11.0) will work properly on Vista

There is a known issue with ACT! 2008 (10.0) installing on Vista, that's fixed in a later build according to this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

Error Message: "Error 1603: Fatal Error During Installation", When Installing ACT! on Windows Vista®

There are also a couple of known InstallShile and Microsoft issues that can cause this. See these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q111019&sliceId=1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reponse, that explains the Vista issue, but I also tried to install it on my other computer that has XP on it.  Should it not install there then?

Or should I return this copy of Act!?  Which copy would be the best one to go with?  It is just for my own use right now.

I have read the articles you have put links to and have a better understanding, but if there is a version that is compatible with what I have (preferably Vista) let me know.

Thanks again,

Shelly

Same error on XP? Maybe see the other 2 links... or it could be a damaged installer and you might see about a replacement.

Definately go with ACT! 2009 (11.0) if that's an option for you. By far the best version of ACT! to date

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that.  I wish I would have posted earlier, instead spent all day yesterday and day before trying to play with the SQL, etc..

I just tried it again on XP (Act!7, 9.0) and definitely the same message again.  Will not work on XP or Vista.

I am going to buy the version of Act! 2009 v.11 and see how it goes.  Thanks for the suggestion, and definitely answered my question.

All the best!

Shelly

Did you try the suggestions in the other 2 links?

PS: Try not to use "ACT!7" - most people see that as ACT! 2005 (7.0)

Mike,

Yes I tried and spent quite a bit of time on the exact links you are talking about.  I tried following up on all of the possible solutions such as administrative privelages, the anti-virus turn offs, I think I have tried everything I know how to do as I am not that computer literate, but can get around.

The only thing I have not tried yet is calling Sage for help.

I don't have Act! 5, it is definitely Act! 7, 9.0

Is there something in the links I might be missing?