Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with ACT!7 9.0. installation on Windows XP & Vista

[ Edited ]

Most likely, the Microsoft link as your post seems to be the MSI that's failing.

Try to copy the CD to a folder on the C: drive and see if that helps?

If going to get ACT1 2009... don't bother with it and just go for the later version.

Re the versions... if using the year, don't just use the last digit. EG ACT! 5 will be taken as ACT! 2000 (5.0)

Calling Sage may help you get a download of the install if that's damaged... but maybe not worth it if getting the new version

Message Edited by GLComputing on 01-03-2009 07:59 AM

Mike,

I will try to copy to C drive as one LAST resort on my XP computer, but if it doesn't work....new version it is.  I have gone onto MSI for a LONG time and tried many of the suggestions to a point I got scared I may ruin my system completely.

I am only worried that when I need the Act! product, I would like to have it on either computer.  If it will only work on one, but not the other, I will have to go to my office to use it.....I just want a version I can load onto BOTH computers without hassle and use freely and be able to upgrade as we expand the company.

Version 2009 of Act! you say is probably the best one worth investing into, right?

When I bought Act! 7 9.0, I looked at the minimum requirements and assumed it should work on at least my XP.  It doesn't.  I should have asked about the Vista system.

Once you get ACT! 2009 and install on both, create the database on one and set up sync for the other... that way changes on either will update both

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -Updated - How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

Mike,

I think I will try the new version, as this one wasted a better part of almost 2 days of my life.

The links you have provided are the exact links that I went to and spent time reading.  Although they are very helpful, I did not see the part where Act! 7 9.0 will NOT install on Vista, that would have saved me a lot of time in itself.

I am now set on getting the new version, I just think it will be best especially because I think I will be using the Vista computer a lot more than XP.

I am going to get it tonight or tomorrow, I will definitely let you know how those go.  I may have questions on synchronizing though, as that is not something I know how to do. 

Do both computers have to be in the same physical location to be synched?  Or can they be located in different buildings?

Thanks for your help.

ACT! 2007 can be installed on Vista (with 9.01), but not all of it works without issues ... better to get ACT! 2009 that was properly tested for it.

ACT! by Sage Compatibility with Microsoft® Windows Vista™, Office 2007 and Internet Explorer® v7.0

Highlighted

Mike,

I did end up getting Act! 2009 v11, after all.  It installed quite nicely, although I had to delete all instances of what I had installed with Act! 7, it completed alright.

Also, toward the end, I had to put in my CD with MS Office again, as I am assuming it wanted to configure some components to Outlook?  but other than that, works fine.

I am just playing with it right now trying to firgure out some things, but it seems to work pretty good.

I am not going to bother with the Act!7 repairs any longer, as it seems that the repairs are too detailed and complex for my understanding.  I will stick to this version of Act! 2009 and keep going with that.

Thanks for all your help.