Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT 2008

Problem with ACT 2008

I use ACT 2008 (upgraded from 2006) and Microsoft Office 2003 

My problem started last week when I received a message while opening ACT about Outlook being able to use the ACT address book. I followed the instructions but it did not work because Outlook would not record the email in the history portion of the ACT contact record. Tech support tried some things and then suggested I uninstall both programs and then reinstalled them. I follwed the instructions provided but the history would not record.

My problem now is that ACT will not open and I get the following message: ACT 10x/2008 has encountered a problem and needs to close

When I reboot the computer I get the following message:

ACT Sage.exc Application Error

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled Process ID=0x7e8(2024), Thread ID=0x7ec(2028)

Any suggestions?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Problem with ACT 2008

John,

First thing you want to check is that you do not have duplicate assemblies after the reinstall. To check this, you'll want to go to Start, then Run and type in Assembly. Once in the assembly folder, scroll through the list of files and you will see several Act. files. Make sure you only have 1 version of each of these files. If you have duplicates, the lowest version number will need to be removed.

If this is not your issue, verify that the ACT7 instance of SQL is installed and started. To check that, once again go to Start then run and type in services.msc. Once in the services window, scroll down and find the entry for SQL Server(ACT7) and make sure the status shows as started.

If neither of these appear to be the issue, you may need to reinstall the ACT program once more, which support can help you do.

Amanda

Amanda
Thanks for your reply.
At present ACT 2008, because it would not open, is uninstalled in addition ACT7 Instance is uninstalled.
I checked Assembly and found approximately 33 ACT entries. Of the 33 entries 6 were marked as 10.0.237.1 the remaining 27 were marked as 8.0.182.0. I have taken no action
I checked dervices.msc and it showed the following:
SQLAgent$Act7 Description is blank, Status is blank, Start-up type is manual, Log on As is Local system

By the way I forgot to mention in my original post that when I turn on Outlook I receive the following message:
The add-in "C:\Program Files Act\Act for Windows\Redemption.dll" could not be installed or loaded. Try detect and repair in help menu.
I tried the help menu but nothing changed
John
Nickel Super Contributor

John,

What I would like for you to do is to remove those 33 Act. files you found in the assembly folder. In order to do this, right click on the file and select 'uninstall' You do not have to do them one at a time, if you hold ctrl and select them as a group, they can all be uninstalled together.

We do not need to worry about the SQLAgent$Act7 listing as that went with a previous version.

I would like for you to remove the assembly files, reboot your computer and reinstall ACT and see how it goes.

As for the Outlook error, that should be resolved when ACT is reinstalled. However, if you would like to stop the error before you get a chance to reinstall, you can disable that add-in within Outlook. To do so, open Outlook, got to Tools -> Options. Click on the Other tab, then click on the Advanced Options button. Once inside the Advanced Options, click on the Add-in Manager button and uncheck 'Redemption Helper Outlook Extension' then just hit 'ok' all the way out.

Amanda
Copper Contributor

Any update on this issue?  Has it been resolved?
Nickel Super Contributor

I've been working with John.

We were able to install and open act successfully. We also was able to integrate his address book with outlook. We have one other issue that I am currently working on/researching.

I seem to be having this same issue, only I use MS Office 2007.  Act will not open with almost the same error message.  When I go to Assembly I have many duplicates.  When I try to uninstall them, it tells me access denied.  What now?

thanks for your help!

Cindy