Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem syncing recurring meetings/todo's to outlook

Problem syncing recurring meetings/todo's to outlook

I am experiencing a problem that is making ACT! extremely useless to me.  Everything seems to work well except for recurring meetings and todo's.

Each time I sync to Outlook, it adds more of those recurring meetings or todo's to both ACT! and Outlook.  For example, if I have a weekly reminder to "Send in expense reports", after I sync I will then have 2 copies of "Send in expense reports" in both Outlook and ACT!.  If I sync again, I will then have 4 copies in each product and so on and so forth.

I tried deleting these in both Outlook and ACT! and closing out of all databases, but when I re-open and then sync they begin to show up again.  Is there a way to clear this out forever?  Also, how do I make sure recurring appts do not continue to do this?

I bought ACT! about 3 years ago and remember it had this same problem and I gave up using it.  I thought it would work better now 3 years later.

I'm using ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.

Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

Mark

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem syncing recurring meetings/todo's to outlook

I've also found sync'ing recurring activities or timeless activities via Outlook will do this, or even cause the dates to change with every sync.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Mark,

I presume that you are using ACT!'s native sync to Outlook as intoduced in ACT! 2011, is that correct?

Questions:

1. Did you use the copy activities to Outlook under a prior version of ACT!?

2. Have you ever synchronised to a mobile device, through Outlook using a 3rd party sync product such asCompanionlink?

3. Were the recurring activities originally setup in ACT! or Outlook. or a mix of both?

4. Are their recurring activities that sync that don't give you a problem?

5. Do you delete recurring activities from Outlook rather than from ACT! ?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thanks for the reply.  Here's what I know:

I presume that you are using ACT!'s native sync to Outlook as intoduced in ACT! 2011, is that correct?

Questions:

Yes

1. Did you use the copy activities to Outlook under a prior version of ACT!?

No

2. Have you ever synchronised to a mobile device, through Outlook using a 3rd party sync product such asCompanionlink?

No

3. Were the recurring activities originally setup in ACT! or Outlook. or a mix of both?

Mix of both

4. Are their recurring activities that sync that don't give you a problem?

I think so, but am not completely sure.

5. Do you delete recurring activities from Outlook rather than from ACT! ?

Mostly delete from Outlook, but in trying to debug this have tried many different combinations.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Mark,

Best to work firstly with recurring activites that work as expected, i.e. they don't duplicate and identify common characteristics.

Presuming you find recurring activities that don't duplicate:

1. Were they created exclusively in either ACT! or Outlook and if so which?

2. Were they either edited, or deleted from Outlook?

As an aside, do you now or have you ever, synchronised  ACT! contact records to Outlook or are you working just with activities?     

Graeme Leo

I'll try to figure out what you're asking.  It may take a few days of observation and more trial and error.

I do sync contacts as well and have never had a problem with duplicates.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Graeme, Travis from Act Today and I identified a number of issues with recurring and timeless activities with the ACT!/Outlook sync... they also vary de-pending on the time zone you're in (just to make it a bit more interesting)
Bronze Elite Contributor

We have customers who run native ACT!/Outlook sync that have had problems and we have managed to fix them to date , which is not the same as, fixed forever. We are establishing patterns and what we find is that you need a lot of patience ( and patients) to identify and possibly overcome the issues. It is very easy to make assumptions, there are a lot of variables and environments.

The ACT! activities tables are complex and Sage were brave to release this feature in such a short time without, I assume, a long testing period in a production environment. There are multiple issues and multiple causes for any one issue. The areas that we believe can be of consequence so far are:

1. Original ACT! database creation version

2. Rollover or no rollover

3. Sync to 3rd party products such as Companionlink via Outlook.

4. Recurrance and editing of the recurrance

5. No end date set

6. In which product editing or deleting has occured.

Graeme Leo

Nickel Contributor

Mark, Can I suggest upgrading to ACT! 13.1 HF2?
There where several fixes in these releases for the Outlook Sync functions. If has not fixed all of these as Graeme has pointed out there are several variables in this process and not all scenarios have been resolved. But it has been improved significantly from the version you have installed 13.0.401 HF1
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand

Even then, To-dos scheduled after midday in ACT! show the NEXT day in Outlook - don't even need to be recurring.

Not sure if that happens in North America or if it's an error in the TZ calc and might happen for different TZs if the activity is later than a different time - I just haven't tested that

The issues are worse if Outlook also syncs to something else like Exchange, Google or phone