Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem syncing my laptop with my desktop. Want to upgrade to the new version of ACT, but won't do it until I know I can sync.

Problem syncing my laptop with my desktop. Want to upgrade to the new version of ACT, but won't do it until I know I can sync.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem syncing my laptop with my desktop. Want to upgrade to the new version of ACT, but won't do it until I know I can sync.

Hello George,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. So the Community can better assist you, please provide some information regarding your issue:
- What version of ACT! are you currently using?
- What is the issue, including any error messages, you are seeing when trying to sync?
- What Windows operating system do each of your machines use (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
- Were you able to sync before, or has it never worked?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Problem syncing my laptop with my desktop. Want to upgrade to the new version of ACT, but won't do it until I know I can sync.

Act 2010

Error Message:  "Sync Result:  ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running.  Also be sure you are connected to your network.  Contact your administrator for assistance."

Comment: "accept incoming sync" is enabled.  Am working with a home network, and am not sure what "the Network sync service" is.  Definitely am connected to the network.  Don't have an administrator.

Main database on a Vista machine.  Remote on a Windows 7.  Have never been able to sync since I set up the remote.

On the host machine is the ACT! program and the database loaded. Also check to make sure the database is shared. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Program and database are loaded on main computer.  Working only on that machine because of inability to sync with remote.  "Share database" is checked in database maintenance.

The likely causes I can think of are the firewall blocking the sync port and/or User Account Control (UAC) in Vista.
To disable UAC on the Vista machine, see instructions in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2022...

To add exceptions to the Windows Firewall on the Vista machine, see the instructions in this article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1942...

*Go the second table in the article (with Protocol and Port Number columns), and click to expand the link for "Click here to verify port number if using Application Synchronization"

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Have tried changing User Account Controls to no avail.  I get a message on both computers: "There are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer."  Is this a hardware issue, or is there some software switch in windows or ACT that needs tweaking?

Can you confirm that the main database is a Publisher and the remote database is a Subscriber, and that sync is active? Do this by going to Help > About ACT!, click Database Information, scroll to the bottom of the info box and look at the 'Sync Role" and "Sync Enabled" values.

Greig Hollister

Main database is a "publisher" and sync enabled is "true".  Remote database is a "subscriber" and sync enabled is "true".  What's next?