Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem restoring a back-up in ACT! 2008

Astute Commentator

Problem restoring a back-up in ACT! 2008

I am running ACT! 2008 Standard on a Windows XP laptop.  I made a back-up of my database and then deleted some info that I now need to see again.  I am still on the same machine that I was used to make the back-up (it was only a matter of days that elapsed).  When I do a Restore As, it appears to restore just fine but when I go to open the restored database I get an error message:

To finalize the registration the databae administrator must login first.

I have always been the administrator on the laptop.  I was when the back-up was created and I am now.  I am also the Admin of the ACT! database.

I have tried restoring to the normal ACT! database folder and also tried restoring to a new folder under C:\.  

I have tried deleteg the PAD file and opening the ADF file.  

No thing seems to work.  I always get the same error message.  There's a similar thread last updated 05/2008 but none of those suggestion work either.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem restoring a back-up in ACT! 2008

Astute Commentator

This article is unrelated to my issue.  I still need help, please.

Good Info from SAGE - Good Luck!

How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database

Question
  You would like to create a backup of your database or restore a previous backup.

Answer
  The following steps will assist you in creating and then restoring a backup. Please note that ACT! has security features which apply to backup and restore functions. Only Administrator and Manager level users have access to the database backup and restore functions. If you are unable to access these functions, please contact your ACT! Administrator.

General Guidelines:
It is recommended that you send the backup (.ZIP) file directly to your local hard drive.
If desired, backing up your ACT! database to a network drive requires that your Windows® user profile has adequate permissions to read and write to the network path destination. Please refer to your Windows documentation or Network Administrator for assistance.
When saving a backup over a network, a best practice is to use the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path instead of the mapped drive location. Typically, mapped drives start with a similar formatting as a hard drive such as h:\. The UNC formatting is \\machinename\foldername. Example: \\Server1\My ACT Databases
The ACT! backup (.ZIP) file cannot be sent directly to a CD or tape backup system through the ACT! backup process. If you need to create your backup on CD or use a tape backup system, refer to the section below for creating a backup to these devices.
If you have any difficulty directing the backup (.ZIP) file to a location other than your local hard drive, you can use a Windows file manager utility such as Windows Explorer or My Computer to copy the backup file from your local hard drive, and then paste this file to a network location or removable media.
To backup your database automatically at specified intervals, you can use the ACT! Scheduler. For more information on the ACT! Scheduler to back up an ACT! database, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
Title: How to Automatically Back Up Your Database
Answer ID: 19218
Note: The ACT! Scheduler is only available in the Premium versions of ACT! by Sage 2006, ACT! by Sage 2007 and ACT! by Sage 2008. The ACT! Scheduler is available in both the Standard and Premium versions of ACT! by Sage 2009 and ACT! by Sage 2010.
What files are included in an ACT! backup?
Database
Attached Documents
Layouts
Document Templates
Report Templates
Saved Queries
Special Note for ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) and later users: ACT! 2009 and later now has the option to reduce the size of backup files by excluding attachments from ACT! database backups, allow backups to complete more quickly, particularly if you have a large number of attached documents. This option can be done by un-checking the Include Attachments box on the Back Up Database dialog box. 

I have a similar problem trying to restore a recently backed up database which resulted in a zipped folder.   When I browse to that folder and select it, I get an error.   I cannot find a KB article that deals with the error, "the file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT! backup"  

Copper Elite Contributor

This almost sounds like your trying to restore a ACT! 6 or previous database with the SQL version, If you double click the zip file what are its contents?

Kurt
Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005