Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem printing for full current lookup

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problem printing for full current lookup

I have ACT 2013.  The program says it is the latest version although I may not have SP1 installed.  Today I had a group of 68 selected and I wanted to print labels to all of them.  My labels are six to a page.  I told it to print to the group and I got five pages of labels for a total of 30.  I elimated the first 30 days from my group and printed again and once more it stopped after 30 labels. A third printing finished the list.  I think I've seen the same thing with envelopes although maybe it was letters using mail merge. I'm not sure which although I know one set of the two was short.

Is this a known bug?

I am also unhappy with the loss of a feature in setting up envelopes.  You used to be able to have Act remember the printer and paper size for a particular envelope.  Now if you edit the template those fields are fixed.  The #10 envelope layout that came with the program knows it needs to set the printer to the right paper size and feeder but my custom defined 6 by 9 envelope does not. I need to go into printer setup every time to reset the size and feeder.  This is inconvenient and is particularly upsetting since I didn't have to do that until I upgraded.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author FrankMCook
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem printing for full current lookup

You will need to edit the label template and change the maximum number of pages property to zero (unlimited), the default is 5.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author FrankMCook
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You will need to edit the label template and change the maximum number of pages property to zero (unlimited), the default is 5.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

found it. thanks for the very quick answer. now if I could just save paper sizes and printer feeds.

The printing of envelops from the ACT! program is very complex. It involves the ACT! program, the priter driver and the video driver. The underlying report engine in the ACT! program only accepts some custom envelope sizes. Add to that the printer driver will only accept specific envelope sizes. I find the most reliable way to design custom envelopes is to start with the 8.5 X 11 sheet size and then set the page margins to the envelope size and position required for printing.

This is what I do to create envelope templates that will be universal regardless of the printer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

It is unnecessarily complex as far as I'm concerned.  In Act6 I could edit the template and go from there to Page Properties and access the printer driver.  Act would remember the printer and its settings for the template.  No more. 

I use 6 by 9 booklet envelopes to mail brochures.  If I attach my printer to an XP computer, I can define the paper size and Act sees it.  I have to go into printer setup every time to change the paper size to the saved envelope setting and manual feed, but when I do that it works.  if I attach the same printer to the Vista computer on which Act is actually installed, I can go into server properties and see the custom form but I haven't found a way to select it in Act.

First, I was the reports point man in ACT! tech support from ACT! 3 through ACT 6 and started when ACT! 3 was at the Alpha level. I bugged problems with the reports that they were never able to fix. The design was basically unmaintainable and by ACT! 6 had developed other quirks that couldn't be fixed. On if it's favorites with envelopes for many people was to print one or two envelopes and then feed one or two blank envelopes while skipping the contact that should have been printed. There was no fix for the problem other than reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything and that wasn't a sure fix. Weather you like it or not the envelope printing is far more reliable with ACT! 2005 and later than with ACT! 3-6. I mainly suggested a way to create a universal template.

The situation you mentioned with XP and Vista, Vista required a different printer driver from the one for XP so the issue is the printer driver supplied by the printer manufacturer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I'm not blaming this all on Act.  I understand that a good deal of it is a printer driver problem and some is a Windows problem.  Windows used to allow a simple workaround by allowing you to install multiple instances of the same printer with different settings but you can't do that any more. 

still if I edit the template and go to Page Setup, the top two lines contain settings that can not be edited.  I suppose there is a reason for this.

perhaps I should just forget about printing odd-sized envelopes and just print mailing labels.  letter sized sheets of labels print perfectly.

If you want some help with custom envelopes, send be a private message or contact me offline.

Don't know if you would be interested but I have templates for Avery postcard sheets.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

thanks, but I do have the booklet envelopes working perfectly when the printer driver allows me to select the size I've defined.  maybe I will take the issue up with Lexmark.

I also have a template that works correctly to produce four landscape postcards from a letter sized sheet of cardstock.  I just use Word to print the message side of the cards.  I can make everything I need work. 

I'm just venting some frustration that boiled over when I didn't realize I'd missed the setting to print more than 5 sheets at a time.  you fixed that.  envelopes can be a problem for another day.