Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

[ Edited ]

I have installed Act 2010 on two computers, an Acer desktop and Dell laptop, to upgrade from Act 2000. Installed fine on laptop and easily upgraded the Act 2000 databases to Act 2010. Installed on desktop and when I tried to open the Act2000 database for conversion, I got the message "Error accessing or process sing PAD file" and it wouldn't do it. I reinstalled Act 2010 but no joy. Any suggestions for a fix on this computer?  Both are running Windows 7 Pro.Thanks--Bob

Administrator

Re: Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

Hi Bob,

We have a Knowledgebase article which covers this error. http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13797
Please try working though the solutions provided.

If the database is the same as the one on the laptop, then you could alternatively take a backup of the upgraded 2010 database from the laptop and restore it on the desktop.

Thanks Gary--I will take a look and let you know if it resolves my problem.--Bob

[ Edited ]

Well I read through the note and could not resolve my issue.  The only PAD file I have so far is the Act2010Demo file.  Haven't been able to create another. Don't have any adf files.  I have tried installing Act2010 on my desktop in safe mode and in regular mode. Have installed it several times. Every time I install it and try to open a database, I can't convert my Act 2000 dbf database and get the message "Error Processing or accessing a PAD file" (conversion worked fine on the other [laptop] computer and now runs fine).  If I try to open the Act 2010Demo PAD file, I get a long message saying the Act2010Demo database could not be accessed and said check network connection of close firewall. My network connection is fine and I tried closing the Windows firewall and disabling Bit Defender with no success. 

I also tried as you suggested backing up the new Act2010 database on the laptop to a jump drive and tried a restore on the desktop. The restore session came up with a screen that asked for a user name and password, even though the laptop database is not password protected. The only option the screen was to enter a username and password or abort the restore; you could not proceed without a password. What user name/password would it be looking for? one for the computer itself? [Nope--tried that and it didn't work] Haven't a clue.

If anyone has other suggestions, I would appreciate it. This is very frustrating as the install and conversion of the Act 2000 database went flawlessly on the laptop. The only difference in the two is that Bit Defender is not yet installed on the laptop. Is Bit Defender possibly the culprit? Or is there a problem with installing Act2010 on more than one computer? Am I missing something simple? Thanks again for any advice. --Bob

Administrator

Hi Bob,

You mentioned that you can't even open the Act2010demo database on the desktop. The error you were seeing when trying to open this DB is an error that can occur for a few different reasons. Let's try to narrow this down.

Do you also get an error when trying to create a new database (File > New Database)? If so, please let us know what the error is.

Additionally, if you open ActDiag (Windows Key + R > actdiag), do you get any errors?

In regards to the username and password prompt when restoring the database from Act2010, this is normal as all databases have a username and password. Many people don't realise this as Act! can be set to log in automatically on opening. The username is usually the full name of your contact in Act!, and the password can be blank.

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary--Thanks for your response and patience with my problem.

Tried opening a new database. The error message I get is "Unable to create the database.  There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server."

Upon opening ActDiag and I get the error message "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance. Click Yes to continue anyway, No to restart ActDiag, Cancel to close."   Clicking Yes brings up a large box titled Server Databases Window, which is blank, and at the  bottom in red it says "Not Connected". Clicking No continues to get the original error message.  My internet access and network are working fine and show connected.

I again tried to restore a database from the other computer using "Restore As" and tried using several different user names and a blank password without success. I have no idea what user name it would be looking for because, as previously noted, the databases are not password protected and I know of no "user name" associated with them. I have tried the name of my computer in the home group, my act sign in name, my email etc.  I always get a long computer code message that begins:  Act.Data.DatabaseAccessException: Failed to open a connection to the database-->  etc...: Login failed for user 'ActAccess',etc. etc.

So still stumped.   Hopefully those clues will lead you to some ideas.  BTW on Bit Defender, as noted previously it is not yet installed on my new Dell laptop (although McAfee is on a30 day trial basis) and I disabled my Bit Defender antivirus software and disabled the Microsoft firewall on the PC, then reinstalled Atc2010. No luck on that either.  Hate to think I need to completely uninstall Bit Defender. Thanks again--Bob

Administrator

Hi Bob,

It sounds like the SQL service isn't started, or isn't properly set up. Please can you look at the following Knowledgebase article to enable/start the service: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38181

Try creating a new database after doing this to see if it works now.

Hi Gary--Thanks for the reference to the kb article on the SQL services. Read it and tried the suggestions but the problem continues as it was. I checked the four SQL services and three of the four are set on automatic and are showing started. The fourth, SQL Server Active Directory helper was disabled. After consulting a few other resources, I set it to manual (they said to do that because the other SQL services will start it when they need it). Still no change. When the SQL Server Active Directory Helper tries to start I still get the error message "Windows could not open the SQL Server Active Directory Helper on local computer.............Error 1073741724" Similar error message in the event viewer for Application/Logs/System.

I do note when searching on Google that the SQL issue I am having seems to have been one that people had in 2008 and 2009 mostly, so I don't know why I would have it now. Some suggested it was related to an older Service Pack missing, but I am way ahead of that. When I try to create a new database, restore an existing one or convert an old Act 2000 one I get the same error messages as before and noted I earlier posts.  One again, any thoughts you might have are certainly appreciated.  There must be a solution; I am sure I am just missing one probably obvious item.--Bob

One additional thought. This username/password requirement that pops up when I try to restore a database. When I check Act 2010 on my laptop, there is no username or password indicated, and I have never in the past used a username and password on my act databases. Any idea what name it could be looking for?  If I could figure that our maybe I could restore a new database. Thanks--Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

Because you don't have to login on the old computer there isn't any password, however you do need the user name to do the restore. It;s likely your name but you can verify that on the old computer by going to Tools | Define Users.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129