Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem: e-marketing require valid internet connection.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem: e-marketing require valid internet connection.

I just upgraded from 2010 to 2011. I am trying to setup the e-marketing services and Im getting this error: "ACT! E-marketing requires a valid internet connection. Please try check your internet settingsand try again."

Don't know what to do next....

Thanks for any assistance.

-Brian

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Problem: e-marketing require valid internet connection.

After spending about 1hr on the phone w/Act support, we ended-up REMOVING my anti-virus software and then we went into the Demo database to try and activate the e-marketing from there.  That worked.  Then I went back to my database and was able to access the e-marketing settings. 

I have not tried reinstalling anti-virus yet (I was using Nortan a/v 2010 (a/v only)).

-Brian

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Brian,

My bet would be that you've got firewall software or something preventing ACT! from making an outgoing connection.  If you have firewall or other Internet security software, I'd turn it off / disable it temporarily, then start ACT! up and try it again, and if that does it then you'll need to determine how to make an exception for ACT! to allow it to do its thing.

If you had trouble registering ACT! 2011 via the Internet it's a pretty good indication of a firewall issue too.

Best regards,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

After spending about 1hr on the phone w/Act support, we ended-up REMOVING my anti-virus software and then we went into the Demo database to try and activate the e-marketing from there.  That worked.  Then I went back to my database and was able to access the e-marketing settings. 

I have not tried reinstalling anti-virus yet (I was using Nortan a/v 2010 (a/v only)).

-Brian

Nickel Super Contributor

You know, for what it's worth I got this message on my machine today when activating E-marketing after having installed 2011 in our production environment yesterday, and simply clicking OK and then trying it again worked just fine.

Weird... but I thought I'd post it in case it saves someone else ripping out their AV software when trying it once more might do it...

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Avid Listener

Hi,

We are having the same issue, it was working yesterday now we get this error message, I tried turing off the firewall, I can open the demo database and connect there, however when I go back to the live database I get the same message, is there a setting inside ACT for this?

Thanks

As it turned-out, the A/V had nothing to do w/my problem.  There was no solution.  I had to export my 2010 data, and then create a new database in 2011 and import it. Now it works.

And for what-ever it's worth, Act! Support (which cost me $199/yr for unlimited cases) was completely useless.

-Brian

I'm glad it's not just me then.  I can't even get the hotfixes to update as they should.  I have the UK version and after the last update, my cities dropdown is Brazlian, and the phone number field is defaulting to Jamaica and there's no way to change it.

Had the same issue with exprting and importing, and as a consequence you loose all your activities.   Paid for ACT support once and everytime I asked them a question they couldn't answer.  Got 1000 contacts so it's too late to change to anything else.

They try and lure you into paying for a years support and a free upgrade.  Yeah, bargain.

If anyone is fed up with the e-marketing you can always delete the dll file so it doesn't load- thats what i've done.

Avid Listener

So Im still working on this problem.  This is only happening for one user.  we recently upgraded to 2011 and everything was working fine.  then one day the user could not connect to the e-marketing site with the error mentioned above.

I can log into that computer to the local demo account and connect just fine, I can also log in with a different user account to the main database and can connect as well. do the issue is with the user account, I do not want to delete and recreate this user as he is the ACT Administrator here. Is anyone from ACT monitoring these boards? If so, perhaps they can forward this to the developer and we can get this solved.

Thanks

Avid Listener

To follow up this thread for anyone with a similar problem. We were able to get this to work by recreating the windows user profile.