Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem changing the format for phone numbers in ACT 2013Pro

Problem changing the format for phone numbers in ACT 2013Pro

I am trying to change the format of the phone numbers in my ACT program. Right now, some are 123-456-1212 or 1234561212 or (123) 456-1212. I have gone through all the steps suggested in the knowledgebase.

1. Click the Lookup menu, and then click All Contacts so that you are sure to be working with all records.
    Note: This procedure will only change the formatting for numbers that are using the same country code as the default format. Phone numbers formatted for other countries will not be changed.
  2. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy Field. The Copy Data dialog box appears:

3. Change the Copy contents of field to the desired Phone field and change the To field to an unused character field, such as User 3 (as illustrated above), and then click OK. The Replace/Swap/Copy dialog box appears:

4. Click Yes to begin copying the contents of the Phone field, into the unused character field. Your phone numbers are now replicated into another field in your database. (User 3 in our example)
  5. Click the Edit menu, and then click Replace Field. The Replace Data dialog box appears:

6. Change the Replace contents of field to the Phone field for which you wish to change the format, and then click the button at the Value field. The Enter Phone Number dialog box appears:

7. Click the Edit Formats... button. The Edit Formats dialog box appears:

8. Ensure that the correct Format is enabled as Default, and then click OK.
  9. Click OK to the Enter Phone Number dialog box. The Replace Data dialog box re-appears and the Value field is blank. Click OK. The Replace/Swap/Copy dialog box re-appears:

10. Click Yes. A progress indicator appears as the data is replaced. When complete, this Phone field is blank on all records.
  11. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy Field. The Copy Data dialog box appears:

12. Change the Copy contents of field to the character field you used to copy the phone data in step 3 above (User 3 in our example)
  13. Change the To field back to the original Phone field, and then click OK.The Replace/Swap/Copy dialog box re-appears. Click Yes to continue. The Data Loss warning appears:

14. Click Yes to continue. A Status indicator appears as the data is copied back to the Phone field in the desired format.

Note: The Country Code does not display in the Contact List view.

The Phone data still exists in the character field specified in step 3 above. If desired you can remove this data by following the steps below:

1. Click the Edit menu, and then click Replace Field. The Replace Data dialog box appears:

2. Change the Replace contents of field to the character field containing the phone number data (User 3 in our example), leave the Value field blank, and then click OK. The Replace/Swap/Copy dialog box appears:

3. Click Yes. A progress indicator appears as the data is removed. When complete, this field is blank on all records.

This did not work for me.

So next I export the database to an Excel sheet, try to format in the excel sheet and import back into ACT. This does not change the formatting of the phone numbers in the ACT program.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Problem changing the format for phone numbers in ACT 2013Pro

I wrote an addon that will fix them all for you.  I charge for it but if you're interested send me a private email.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

HI Stan,

Can you provide your information so that I can email you?

Thanks!

Hi Stan, 

The add-on was great and was a real life saver, but it does not work with newer versions.  We really need some advise on how to handle for newer versions of ACT including V19 and V20.   Phone format is critical to our business.  Please let me know what our options might be for newer versions.

Thanks!

Administrator

Hi landism, 

What is the specific format that you're trying to achieve?

We still recommend the KB article that you tried to follow in the original post, though I know it can be temperamental at times. Failing that, the only other option that'd be possible in Act! without addons is to export to excel, format and re import (which I know you've tried previously).

Depending on the type of formatting you're trying to apply, the excel method should always work. It's often necessary to make sure that excel isn't applying any of it's own formatting to the data though (i.e. displaying the data with formatting (555) 123-4567 while storing the data as 5551234567)

Hi Jon, 

The KB instructions change the phone number format in the record view; but it does not change the format in the list view, thus we cannot sort by phone numbers.   We have the same problem with exporting - the number formats are not consistent or uniform.

Do you have a reference for the exporting and the re-importing with excel? That sounds incredibly time consuming with mulptiple databases and frequent imports, but I am willing to try.

Are there any add-ons that work with V19 or V20?    We upgraded software recently, and I am very sorry that we did.   This is very serious problem for us since we have many many users and well over 30 databases.   Quite frankly, it is rapidly becoming a disaster.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Administrator

Ah I understand your issue.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to change the way phone numbers display in the list view - they will always be unformatted there.

It may be worth checking http://actaddons.com to see if there are any other addons that suit your needs.

If you want to try exporting and importing via Excel anyway - I can't help you with the formatting part, but it should be possible to change the formatting of the phone numbers en masse using Excel's formatting features- then if you follow the below Knowledge base article and make sure that duplicate checking is set in such a way to match the contacts back into the database.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26828

Thanks Jon.........I have since learned that the add-on for version 20 will be ready next week so that should resolve the issue.   Right now, it is only available for V19, but V20 is coming next week.   Yeah!