10-15-2013 11:42 AM
I am attempting to upgrade from version 12 to version 16, and it is not going well. During the install process I am seeing an error message in a command prompt window, but it is on the screen so briefly I cannot read it, and I do not know how to retrieve it after the fact. Despite the error message, the installation continues through to completion; but when I attempt to convert my existing database, the process fails immediately. The error message indicates that the "schema update failed." Within the body of the error message it indicates that there was a "SQL server product version check failure." If I run the "actdiag" program, it indicates that SQL Server 2005 - Express Edition is running. My list of installed programs includes SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup.
I've made several attempts to download and install v16; each time with the same results. My operating system is Windows 7 Professional, and I am logged in under my own user name, with administrator privileges.
I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and determined a solution.
10-16-2013 03:05 AM
It sounds like SQL has not upgraded correctly. I would Un-Install ACT! and the ACT7 SQL instance re-boot the machine and then install ACT! again. This will hopefully install SQL OK . You could always manually install the SQL instance first, I tend o do this if there are any poblems with an install.
If everything installs OK you can then attach the originall database by browsing to the ADF file by changing the Files if Type to ACT! Database.
I hope this helps
10-16-2013 09:40 AM
Chris - Thank you for the feedback. You are correct; SQL Server 2008 was not installing properly. I made several attempts at uninstalling both ACT and SQL Server 2008 and then reinstalling ACT, but none were successful. Finally, using information in Knowledge Base Answer ID 26994 (How to Manually Create the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance) I downloaded the SQL software, attempted to install it, and figured out why the installation was failing. (It turns out there was information in a folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data) that the install program expected to be empty. When the install program determined there was data in the folder, it terminated the installation.) I resolved the conflict and was able to install the SQL Server 2008 software and create the ACT7 Instance. I was then able to successfully install the ACT software and convert my existing database. It is early, yet, but so far everything appears to be working OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't done something in the process of installing the SQL software that's going to come back to haunt me. I'll post an update if I have any subsequent issues.