Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem Opening v11.0 data w/ v17--pls help!

Problem Opening v11.0 data w/ v17--pls help!

[ Edited ]

So I've just downloaded v17 software and I'm trying to populate it with all of my data from ACT! by Sage 2009 v11.0.

First I backed up the database using the v11.0 software on my old computer.

Then I installed v17 on my new computer.

I did a "Restore As" using the v17 software and the backup file.  It told me "Restore completed successfully"

Then when I tried to open it, it told me "Database you are opening must be updated to a newer version of ACT!"  Fair enough, I told it to go ahead.

But the error I'm getting is "Exceptions occurred while executing the database Schema Update Script."

When I view the schema error text file, the text it contains follows.  Is it something I can fix?  Something that can be fixed?  Many thanks for any light that anyone can shed!

--

Changed database context to 'master'.Changed database context to 'KJG2013'.Setting Database Compatibility Level...
Local Datetime: 2014-11-08 18:14:05.377
Servername: PHSI-LAPTOP\ACT7
Engine Edition: 4 Express Edition
Product Version: 10.50.2500.0 (SP1)
Server Collation: Latin1_General_CI_AS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sync Enabled: False
Sync Role:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Database: KJG2013
Create Version: 661
Configuration option 'user instances enabled' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.-------------------------------------------------------------
Current Build: 11.00.0348.0000
Update Build: 17.0.65.0
-------------------------------------------------------------
Setting Database Auto_Shrink To OFF...----------------------------------------------------------------
Setting Previous Schema Values: 11.00.0348.0000 TO 17.0.65.0----------------------------------------------------------------
Pause dtSearch Indexing For This Database
Executing PRC_ACT_ACTIVE_DATABASE 2014-11-08 18:14:05.537DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
Dropping indexes and constraints starting... 2014-11-08 18:14:05.557
Dropping triggers, starting ... 2014-11-08 18:14:11.360
Dropping Tables, starting... 2014-11-08 18:14:13.237
Dropping table CTL_SQLTRACE
Dropping table TBL_COMPANY_EXTERNALMAP ...
Dropping table TBL_CONTACT_EXTERNALMAP ...
Creating Table TBL_IMPORT_HISTORYITEM
Moving data from externalmap to historyitem
Dropping table TBL_CONTACT_RELATION ...
Dropping table TBL_GROUP_EXTERNALMAP ...
Dropping table TBL_LOGONHISTORY
Creating Tables, starting... 2014-11-08 18:14:13Creating Table CTL_ABL_DEPENDENTCreating Table CTL_ABL_LINK_DEPENDENTCreating Table CTL_BI_CALENDARDATE_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_COMPANY_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_CONTACT_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_GEOGRAPHY_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_GROUP_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_HISTORY_FACTCreating Table CTL_BI_HISTORYTYPE_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_INDUSTRY_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_OPPORTUNITY_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_OPPORTUNITY_FACTCreating Table CTL_BI_OPPORTUNITYSTATUS_DIMCreating Table CTL_BI_USER_DIMCreating Table CTL_OLEDBFUNCTIONCreating Table CTL_OLEDBFUNCTION_SYSCOLUMNCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEWCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_DERIVEDCOLUMNCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_JOINDATACreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_KEYINDEXCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_KEYINDEX_SYSCOLUMNCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_OLEDBFUNCTIONCreating Table CTL_OLEDBVIEW_PROVIDERVIEWCreating Table CTL_PROVIDERVIEWCreating Table CTL_WF_COMPLETEDSCOPECreating Table CTL_WF_INSTANCESTATECreating Table TBL_CONTACT_CONTACTCreating Table TBL_CONTACT_SOCIALMEDIACreating Table TBL_CONTACT_SOURCECreating Table TBL_EXECUTECreating Table TBL_HISTORYTYPE_GROUPCreating Table TBL_HISTORYTYPE_SUPERGROUPCreating Table TBL_LOGONHISTORYCreating Table TBL_OPPORTUNITY_ACLCreating Table TBL_OPPORTUNITY_PRODUCTSERVICECreating Table TBL_PRODUCTSERVICECreating Table TBL_SOCIALMEDIACreating Table TBL_WORKFLOW_ACTIVITY_CLEAREDCreating Table TBL_WORKFLOW_ARCHIVECreating Table TBL_WORKFLOW_SUBSCRIPTIONCreating Table TBL_WORKFLOWDEFCreating Table TBL_WORKFLOWDEF_ACL
Table modifications - Adds, Deletes, etc. 2014-11-08 18:14:14.177Altering DESCRIPTION on table CTL_DBCONFIG
Altering EVENTSOURCE on table CTL_EVENTLOG
Altering SQLUSER on table CTL_EVENTLOGAltering DETAILS on table CTL_EVENTLOGDETAIL
Altering OLDVALUE on table CTL_EVENTLOGDETAIL
Altering NEWVALUE on table CTL_EVENTLOGDETAILAdding column on CTL_SYNCDBMAP_SESSION ...
Adding column on CTL_SYNCDBMAP_SESSION ...Altering table CTL_SYNCSETTYPEAltering table CTL_SYSTABLEORDERAltering table TBL_ACCESSOR_ACTIVITYAltering table TBL_ACTIVITYAltering table TBL_ACTIVITYTYPEAltering table TBL_ADDRESSAltering table TBL_ATTACHMENTAltering table TBL_COMPANY
Altering table TBL_COMPANYAltering table TBL_COMPANYQUERY
*********** Schema Update failed **************
*********** Exception message follows *********

String or binary data would be truncated.
Altering table TBL_CONTACT
The statement has been terminated.

Schema Update failed.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Problem Opening v11.0 data w/ v17--pls help!

kjgordon - You should only need to open your old database with v17 and it will update it.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Thanks for replying David.  But the database is hosted on a different computer than the one with v17.  How do I port the database over to the new computer other than with backup/restore?

(Also, the old computer doesn't have enough capacity to install v17)

Thanks,

Ken

Copper Elite Contributor

Kenn,

we did find that the reason for this is very often related to custom fields you may have created. very often, the fields have the same name like fields that are now standard in act17.

so one way to come arround this, is to checkout what fields you created, rename them, and then try again.

if this is not working, you may need to provide the database to an ACC that can do database repair, or contact swiftpage, if you have a businesscare contract

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

Ingo,

Thanks very much for your post.  I did indeed create custom fields, I bet that is indeed what is happening.  I'll try renaming them.  If it doesn't work I'll follow-up with an ACC.

Many thanks!

Ken

It turns out Ingo's suggestion didn't do the trick--I changed all the custom field names to unique names, but got the same error.

The key message on why the script stopped is:

String or binary data would be truncated.
Altering table TBL_CONTACT

Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks,

Ken

Bronze Super Contributor

Wow, those are the right error messages allright.

I'll try those fixes--thanks!