Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem Importing Drop Down List data in Version 2009 11.0

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problem Importing Drop Down List data in Version 2009 11.0

I have created a new field and would like to import the drop down list data that I would like to attach to that field rather than type the 55 item list in or put the info in as I go.  I did a search for the problem and saw several generic import postings but not this specific one. Have never had problem importing data before and have done a lot of contact data importing.  Read the instructions about creating the csv or txt files but when I import nothing gets imported. I could be just stupidly missing something but am not clear.  The instructions don't make clear what you should use for column headers in the file but someplace I saw a comment about calling the the main field you are importing "Value" so I used that at the top of my column in a tab delimited text file. 

Any help appreciated. Let me know if I left out any info you need to help.

TIA

JTB

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jtbamford
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problem Importing Drop Down List data in Version 2009 11.0

Importing a Drop Down List is done through the Tools > Define Fields > Manage Drop Down Lists option.

You can create a new list or edit an existing one > on the 2nd screen for editing the list is the option for Importing a file.

Although there are several file types you can import, if you have any trouble with your current file I recommend you save your file as a TXT format (copy and paste into a Notepad document) and surround your values with double quotes - then import the TXT file.

For example your values will appear in the file:

"value1"

"value2"

"value3"

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jtbamford
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Importing a Drop Down List is done through the Tools > Define Fields > Manage Drop Down Lists option.

You can create a new list or edit an existing one > on the 2nd screen for editing the list is the option for Importing a file.

Although there are several file types you can import, if you have any trouble with your current file I recommend you save your file as a TXT format (copy and paste into a Notepad document) and surround your values with double quotes - then import the TXT file.

For example your values will appear in the file:

"value1"

"value2"

"value3"

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

PERFECT SOLUTION !! My text files that I saved from Excel "Save as" did not have the quotation marks in the file. I tried several ways but no deal. Saved into Notepad, put in the quotation marks and worked perfectly.  Thanks much.

JTB

Message Edited by jtbamford on 04-09-2010 09:13 AM