Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pro 2013 not recognizing WORD as default word processor

Pro 2013 not recognizing WORD as default word processor

It isn't even an option in the Preferences menu.  I have searched the knowledgebase and the forums and find nothing recent related to this issue.  The older things I have found are irrelvant as they are for older products.  

THis is getting frustrating... Evertyhing was peachy until I upgraded to Office 2010 and Act Pro 2013.  I was on Office 2007 and Pro 2011 and it worked like a champ.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Pro 2013 not recognizing WORD as default word processor

[ Edited ]

Hello GabesACT,
If you upgraded or installed Office after you installed ACT! 2013, the two programs may not have properly connected. To resolve, you will need to uninstall/reinstall ACT! as Office needs to be in place prior to installing ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I jsut tried that.  It didn't work.  WORD is not even listed in the drop down menu of the word processor section of the communications tab in the preferences area.  

Platinum Super Contributor

Is Outlook an option in the email system setup?

If not, is Office installed in 64-bit version? If yes (64-bit), then ACT! will not be able to integrate with it. You will need to uninstall Office and ACT!, reinstall Office selecting the 32-bit version. Then install ACT!.

Greg Martin
Sage

I didn't install Outlook so it doesn't show as an option.  The ACT buttons are showing up in WORD though.  I'm uninstalling both and will reinstall according to your instructions.

I uninstalled both Act and Office.  I reinstalled Office, making sure it was the 32 bit version.  I rebooted then reinstalled ACT.  Rebooted again.  WORD is still not an option under the Communications tab of the Preferences module.  ACT buttons are still showing up in WORD.  I am growing more frustrated as I need to get to work, not play with this all day.  But I am unable to write letters using my existing templates.

Hello?  If I can't get a solution, can I get a refund and just go back to Pro 2011?  The added features of Pro 2013 are not attractive to me if I can't even write a letter from ACT.

You referenced an article previously, the following article was written for older versions of ACT! but is still relevant - try the steps to update the permissions for the registry key (Windows 2003 Server/XP): KB Article 13756

For Windows 7/Vista: click Windows Start button > type 'regedit' into the Search field > press ENTER key.

And to check:

- Is the version of Office a special version?  (Home/Student/other)

- Is Office installed in 'Click to Run' mode?  If yes, that is the cause of the problem.  Office must be a full installation.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greetings. Is this thread still an issue today (February 23, 2013)? I am running a new computer with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and do not have any version of Microsoft Word installed (other than a trial version which I have not yet opened).

1) Will I have a problem with making Word the default word processor if I install the newest version of Word/Office after Act 2013 Pro?

2) Any known issues with using Office 365 online versions of Word and Excel with Act Pro 2013?

3) Does Word still need to be the 32 bit version on a 64 bit Windows 8 Pro operating system?

4) Are there any cautions/issues/limitations if I just use the word processor built into Act 2013 Pro? I am willing to recreate templates?

Bhtharp,
1. Install newest version of Office/Word: While Sage ACT! 2013 has not been 'certified compatible' with Office 2013, many members have reported using the 2 successfully.

2. Office 365 Online - Office must be installed locally on the computer (I believe there is an option with Office 365 for local install) for ACT! to interface with it.

3. 32 or 64-bit Office Version: 32-bit version of Office must be installed to allow integration.

4. Will leave this to other members to comment on Microsoft Word vs. ACT! Word Processor. The ACT! Word Processor is not as powerful as Word, but for basic functionality should be sufficient.
Greg Martin
Sage