Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing labels with the first name Don first results in Don being printed twice

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Printing labels with the first name Don first results in Don being printed twice

I recently did a mailing using Act 2010's default label for Avery 5160, 5260 and 5560 labels.  I have several clients named Don.  Three iterations were present.  Don alone.  Someone else & Don, like Bonnie & Don.  And finally Don & Bonnie.

There were only two instances of the last example, Don & Bonnie.  In both cases it printed Don Don & Bonnie.  This was the only time in a 500 piece mailing that it happened.  The only way I could get it to print correctly was to change the first name field from Don & Bonnie to Bonnie & Don.

There is no entry in the middle name field and only their last name in the last name field.   Any thoughts on theis kind of odd problem?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Printing labels with the first name Don first results in Don being printed twice

Click the button to the right of the Contact field and set the First Name correctly

To prevent it happening: Tools | Preferences | Name Preferences - Remove "Don" from First name prefixes (it's there for Italian uses)

You'll also need to lookup all contacts where Contact contains "don" and fix the First Name and Salutation as per the first item above

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Printing labels with the first name Don first results in Don being printed twice

Click the button to the right of the Contact field and set the First Name correctly

To prevent it happening: Tools | Preferences | Name Preferences - Remove "Don" from First name prefixes (it's there for Italian uses)

You'll also need to lookup all contacts where Contact contains "don" and fix the First Name and Salutation as per the first item above

Thanks for the suggestion.  I removed Don from the name preferences as you suggested.  I checked the first name field and it is "Don & Bonnie", no middle name and the correct last name.  I quit and restarted Act, but when I go to print a label it still comes up "Don Don & Bonnie". 

Should I be setting the first name differently somehow?

The salutation field had "Don & Bonnie", but then all of the salutation fields have what I designated as the first name.  I cleared the data from it, saved the file and it still printed "Don Don & Bonnie".

Apparently there was something stored in the database for that record that caused this to continue to happen.  I tried creating a new Don & xxx record and went to print a label.  It came up corrrectly.  So I changed the first name of one of the problem records to Fred.  Printed and it was okay.  Changed it back to Don and now it prints fine.

I think you were spot on with your original suggestion with the name preferences, but apparently Act stored something that wouldn't go away until I changed the first name to something else, saved and then back.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I really appreciate your time.

No. It's the standard templates. The don't use the contact field but rather assemble the addressee from the Name Prefix, First Name, Last Name and Name Suffix fields using a custom field in the template and a VB script.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129