Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing envelopes on HP LaserJet

Printing envelopes on HP LaserJet

[ Edited ]

How do I set the printer to default to the #10 envelope size for an HP Laserjet printer?  It looks fine in print preview for landscape but when I set it for portrait so the envelope feeder on the HP will take it, the print doesn't rotate in the preview mode.  I'm using ACT 11.0.

Message Edited by MikenAZ on 09-29-2008 06:37 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Printing envelopes on HP LaserJet

You should be able to do this in the Properties page for your printer.  You can verify the report settings in ACT! as well:

- Go to Reports/Edit Template

- Change the file type to ACT! Envelopes (*.env) and open the #10 template

- When the template opens, go to File/Page Setup and make sure the paper size is #10 envelope and the source is the correct tray for your envelopes

ACT! will use the default settings you have setup for your printer.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I followed your instructions but when I got to the dialog box for page setup the only thing I could modify were the margins.  Orientation and paper were grey'd out.  I have to believe this is one of the most common set-ups out there with an HP LaserJet printer.  Probably something simple I'm missing.

Did anyone eventually figure this out? We just installed ACT 2009 and can't print any envelopes correctly. Also using an old HP LaserJet 5, as well as a Xerox Phaser and get the same problem regardless of printer. Even just on preview, any envelope template wants to print on a full letter-size sheet. The default #10.env report template is designed to print on a letter-size sheet in landscape mode, and won't allow me to change it. I only get error messages trying to change it to the envelope size in Page Setup. When I try to create a new report in the report designer, if I choose #10 envelope, I just get an error message that "Paper Size Cannot be changed unless the Kind property is set to Custom". If I set it to Custom, it reverts to #10 envelope as soon as I start typing in any numbers for the size. Something buggy going on! Smiley Happy
Platinum Elite Contributor

Most envelope templates are created on the 8 1/2 X 11 format in landscape. That is the default paper size when communication between the report generator, Windows and the printer does not have a specific paper size. For example, using my HP 2610 as the default printer, I can create a #10 envelope and the is the paper size. What you need to do is simply adjust the margins on the page setup in the report editor to position the printing toe be at the location where the envelopes feed. It may take a bit of experimenting to get the printing right but it does work. Remember when setting the page margins for landscape the top is the 11 inch side.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, Roy! I'll play around with it some more without expecting it to actually shift to an "envelope" paper size. It may be problematic getting our printer to recognize that it should use the special envelope feeder with the letter size paper, but I may be able to just feed the envelopes manually in that tray if that's the way it's designed to work. Thanks, David