Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing a List of a Group of ACT! Contacts

Skilled Commentator

Printing a List of a Group of ACT! Contacts

What I want is fairly simple:

• Select a Group of Contacts.
  • Print out a list of those Contacts (grid or otherwise) with their Name, Address, and Phone Number in alphabetical order. 
  • Optional: the ability to specify partiular fields to be printed along with the contact.

Is there a way to do this?

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Skilled Commentator

Re: Printing a List of a Group of ACT! Contacts

Is this not possible after all? 

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
Platinum Super Contributor

This can be done through the Contact List view.  Either by a Lookup or using the Omit/Lookup Selected icons, create the list of contacts you desire to print.  If you are using Groups, right click on the Group name and select 'Create Lookup'.

On the Contact List view: Use the View > Customize Columns options to display the desired fields.  If you want to sort contacts by First name, you will need to include the First Name and Last Name fields in the view.  Once the List view is completed, right click in the list area and select 'Print Contact List'.  Another option is to click the Export to Excel icon, once exported to Excel, you will have increased options for the printing of the list.

Greg Martin
Sage
Skilled Commentator

Alright, I guess my real question is printing sheets of Mailing Labels. That is basically what I'd want.

I've seen the templates, and they are all relatively confusing.

Is there a currently existing template that has:

Title (if any) First Name & Spouse Name (if any) Last Name

Address 1

Address 2 (if any)

City, State, Zip Code

If not, is there an easy way to make one? I find the tutorials online to be difficult to understand. 

Thanks,

David

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

No there isn't such a template. The template isn't extremely hard to create but it does require additional VB script programming to manage the conditional parts of the template, particularly the name.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclosure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

If you Select PRINT, and select LABELS, there is a laundry list of available labels.  None of these will work?? (I'm using 2013, but this is not anything new.)

Skilled Commentator

No, these options do show up, I suppose there are just so many that it is overwhelming! Some preset label templates have parts that I want, but never all.

I don't see why I couldn't copy a custom field and port it to another, but for some reason I cannot find a way to edit pre-existing custom fields...

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

As I noted before what you want would need to be a custom template and use VB Script programming to do the conditional items that you want. 

The reason you can't copy fields from one template to another is because the template editor that you work with is a graphic representation of the template's XML code. The XML code can be copied to a limited degree from one template to another at the XML code level. Because custom fields typically reference one or more database fields so that even at the XML code level custom fields can't be copied.

If you're interested in having a custom template created, send me a private message.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Skilled Commentator

Makes sense, message sent. Thanks.

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
Copper Contributor

With the exception of conditionally using or not using Mr. or Mrs., you can edit your template very easily.  (There is a Salutation field for the main contact, but I don't see one for the spouse.  You'd probably have to use one of the custom fields--no biggee.)

Reports-Edit Template.  Then in the File type drop down box select Act Labels.  Open the label you would like to use, Save as a new name, then modify your new label template as needed.    Everything is there to properly align your fields.