Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing Envelopes

Printing Envelopes

I'm  trying to print an envelope and it prints when I put in a full sheet, but not when I put in an envelope.  According to the knowledgebase, this problem was fixed in Act 2007.  I have ACT 2010 and it doesn't work.  This is a custom envelope that is 6.75 inches long and 5.25 inches wide.  The printer is a Samsung ML-2010.  PC is running Vista.   Envelopes print fine from Word, but not from ACT.    Help please
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Printing Envelopes

Hello,

When you try to print the envelope, what is happening? Are getting an error, is simply not printing, or is printing to the wrong tray?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I put an 8.5 X 11 standard piece of paper in the printer and the printing appears, but certainly not aligned to where I would think it would be on a 5X7 envelope - it is right on the edge of the 8.5X11 page.

I then put an envelope in the printer and as with all printers, the envelope is centered prior to printing.  It goes through the printer and comes out with nothing on it. 

I check the 8.5X11 paper, place the envelope on top and center it and the printing is outside of the envelope size.  In other words, the printing software does not move the printing to align with the size and location of the envelope. 

The workaround is to set the envelope as an 8.5X11 size, put the necessary address information on it, move the information around until it is lined up with an envelope that would be centered on the 8.5X11 page and then print the envelope.  Moving the address information around takes several attempts to get it correct since I am basically "tricking" the printer into thinking it has an 8.5X11 sheet.

The envelope printing software that I have used on my 10 year old Mac automatically adjusts the print location to the envelope size.  Unfortunately, the printer for my Mac died, so I transferred all the contact information to my PC running ACT!

Normal enevelopes printed from a PC using the envelope function in Windows also aligns the print location with the envelope size.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The first thing you need to do is go to Report | Edit Template and check in File | Page Setup to see if there is an envelope that fits your custom envelope size. If not then you need to use the 8 1\2 X 11 page size to create the template and adjust the page margins so that the printing falls where you are feeding the envelopes. By setting your mage margins to give you an image area equal to your envelop, you can easily compose the envelope and then move it using the page margins you can easily change to location for printing.

For what it's worth, with ACT! 6 and before I used an addon called DazZle for envelope printing because of problems with the ACT! envelope printing. They didn't update their program to work with ACT! 7 and later and I've found that the envelope printing from the later version of the ACT! program is much improved and I no longer find any need for an addon for envelope printing. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm having an issue with the Printer setup of the envelopes; it's greyed out, can anyone help please ?

Hi ADiMaio! You should reset your printer setting. I’m sure you messed your printer setting. I’ve been to this problem many times. If it doesn’t work, uninstall your printer software and reinstall it. Hope this works!!

printing envelopes

Like many others, I find printing envelopes can be frustrating and it doesn`t always work.

But I've had good success with printing envelopes by making it as simple as possible and avoiding the built-in Print/Envelope command. These three steps really worked well for me, and I print dozens of envelopes monthly.

1. I bought a $29 Samsung laser printer and keep it on my credenza loaded with envelopes. That's all this printer is used for -- letterhead, plain paper and everything else is printed on our fancy networked laser. Saves tons of time changing paper from letterhead to envelopes, and I dont have to go back and forth to the network printer to put in envelopes, or risk someone else making a mistake and printing on envelopes loaded in the network printer.

2. I made an envelope template that assumes that 8.5x11 paper is loaded. This means you dont have to change any printer settings. Making a template isn't difficult at all, just edit an existing template (Write/Edit template) and save it under a new name. The page settings I use for a #10 envelope are:

- letter paper in landscape

- 5.25 inch left margin

- 4 inch top margin

- 1 inch bottom and right margins

These margins are for a paper feeder that sends the envelop down the middle of the print path, not against the left side. The return address is already preprinted on the envelope; if you want to print the return address, change the margins and add your  return address and perhaps even your logo to the envelope template. I had to experiment a few times to get it just right and determine which way the envelopes should go in.

3. When you need an envelope, print one using the template (Write/Other document from template) instead of ticking off the Print Envelope box after printing a letter. Dont forget to select the appropriate printer. You can select to include in the history that you printed an envelope -- or not -- as you prefer. An extra step, but once set up, it always works and saves time overall. The worst that happens is I forget to select the envelope printer and a page gets printed on the default printer.

If you use different sizes of envelopes, just make a template for each one with the appropriate margins.

If you want to do a mail merge, prepare your lookup and mail merge your letters. Then do a second mail merge with the same lookup using the envelope template.

It may seem extravangant to have a second printer just for envelopes, but low-end lasers are really inexpensive these days and a toner cartridge lasts an incredibly long time when just printing addresses on envelopes. I found this approach is less wasteful than using sheets of labels, and cheaper than printing labels on a dedicated label printer (I used to use a Dymo). It also is time effective -- your mail merge may coming out on one printer when you start envelopes on the second.

Good luck! Greg.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Greg,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for sharing your solution to this issue!
Greg Martin
Sage