Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing Address Book in Day-Timer format

Printing Address Book in Day-Timer format

I've used ACT! since its inception in 1988.  A number of ACT! versions ago I used to be able to print out address books to carry in my Day-Timer.  I carry a desk-size planner that takes 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" pages and I have paper stock that contains two pre-punched desk-size pages per sheet.  In this old version of ACT! there was an option to print on both sides of every page.  It was always a breeze and I never had to fool around with printer settings. Just choose "two-sided printing" as one of the options and out popped a beautiful address book that could be snapped into the planner.  For the last three or four incarnations of this program this feature has been reduced to the point where it doesn't even make sense.  While you can still choose to print out a desk-sized address book, there is no option to print on both sides.  So all you end up with is one desk-sized page after another printed on 1/2 a sheet of paper.

The program still offers a list of planners (Day-Timer, Frankling, Day-Runner, etc., etc.) for printing address books, so I'm guessing other folks besides me still desire this feature.

I've spent hours and hours and reams of paper fooling around with printer options to try and force a solution to no avail.  I've searched for add-in programs and have found nothing.

For those of us who still maintain (or have gone back to) an analog planner, this is an important option.  I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion as to how I might be able to print out a desk-size address book, printed on both sides of every page.

Thanks, in advance,

Kkochon 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Printing Address Book in Day-Timer format

Just a thought... try print a doc from word set to double-sided, then print from ACT!

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Mike,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm afraid I don't recognize or understand the term "word set," so I am unsure as to what you are suggesting as a solution.  If you could supply a bit more of an explanation I'd appreciate it.

From the length of time it took to get a "hit" on this question there must not be too many people that are concerned about printing an address book for a daily planner.  If your "work-around" doesn't work I'll take your suggestion to add a request to a feature database.  It doesn't appear that I should hold out much hope.

Thanks again.

Kent

Hi Mike:

If you mean I should try using the double-sided printing feature of my printer - that's what I've been doing.  The problem is that the pages either do not print in the correct order, or only one page is printed per side (there should be two for the planner I'm using) or the back side is printed upside-down.  I have two different printers and have tried every single combination of features to no avail.

With the old version of ACT! it was simple.  There was a double-sided printing option for printing the address book.  Choose the option, hit "Print" and out would pop a perfectly printed address book - two pages per side, in order.  It was a beautiful thing!

I guess the only option is to submit this as a requested feature and hope for the best.  Perhaps ACT! 2012.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Regards,

Kent

I think a few people have posted issues with Duplex printing not working... if enough users do, it will get it moved higher in the priorities.

I just upgraded from ACT! 2000 to 2010 and the only reason I upgraded is my new computer uses 2010.  One of the best things I have liked about ACT is the ability to easily print my address book - 3.5" x 7.5" on both sides of the paper with three pages to a page.  I am shocked and dismayed that this option does not exist. I am also concerned that nothing seems to have improved since March of 2008. 

How does one put in a request to ACT to get them to bring back features that were terrific.

I am in my 30 days and have to make the hard decision of whether to bother keeping ACT.

I am also hoping that my post might lead to someone that has found a way to make this work.

The reps from ACT seem to think that moving the data to Excel is the way to go.  They obviously don't understand what format we want to print our address book.

Irene

I WAS a loyal ACT! user until later versions of ACT! disabled the use of printing address books for Daytimer formats.  Since later versions of ACT! it seems two steps forward, one step back.

Is there any software add-on that will accomplish two sided printing of address books from ACT!?  Why doesn't ACT! turn that bit of code back on and allow for address book printing?

Copper Contributor

I, too, am a long-time ACT! user, and also was printing calendar pages on pre-printed pre-punched pages purchased from Day-Timer & it was a great system- when it worked!

I'm not so concerned about printing on both sides of the page, I'd just like to be able to print on 1 side! I use the 7-ring "desk" style, and since ACT! no longer has this style formatted in their calendar printing programming, does anyone know how to customize a format template that would work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I too was a loyal ACT! user until they eliminated the double sided printing feature for address books.  Duplex printing address books and double sided printing are not the same animal.  Don't know why the ACT! people can't figure that out.  They had the code for printing in earlier versions but left it out in later versions.  So I reloaded ACT! 2000 and have been happy with it.  Until Sage brings back duplex printing I refuse to use it.