Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Print Error - object reference not set to an instance of an object

Copper Contributor

Print Error - object reference not set to an instance of an object

I use ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0 on my WinXP Serv Pack 3 OS.I have done all the updates both with Windows and ACT. I also tried to repair the database by using Tools -> Database Repair -> Check and Repair with both options checked.

I also tried many other databases and all are having the same issue listed below. So I don't think it is a corrupted database.

When I try to print an address book from the File -> Print menu I keep getting the same error message.  "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  My printer is local and not a network printer. It works fine with other printing, even from within ACT itself! I really like to print out my address books in this format. The temporary work-around I have been using is going to the Report's Menu and printing contact directories that way, but it is a lot more bulky and not really the format I want.

I am stumped. I tried to get this error corrected for months now! I Googled and search the web regarding this same issue, but to no avail.

Please advise on how I can correct this error.

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Print Error - object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hello clubmed111,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. A few things you can try:
- If you are trying to print the address book for a large number of contacts, try reducing the number to around a few hundred an test
- This may due to a damaged address book template. Have you tried more than one address book template?
- This could also possibly be caused by a damaged ACT! preferences file. Please use the manual method to rebuild preferences found in the bottom section of this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I was excited to get an answer, but I tried all your suggestions thus far and it is still giving the same error! (See my answers below next to your suggestions.)

- If you are trying to print the address book for a large number of contacts, try reducing the number to around a few hundred an test  (Answer: No not a large database. My database is rather small only a 104 contacts for this particular instance. I do have larger databases, but I am using this smaller database as the one I have been testing on.)

- This may due to a damaged address book template. Have you tried more than one address book template? (Yes, many different selections from the ones offered. Even when I click on the "preview"button to "check it" of an address book selection before actually printing I get the same error message. However, when I try to print a "calendar" it does actually print from the same print section and also the preview portion works for the daily calendar and other calendar selections.) Could every address book selection be corrupted? If so, how would I correct those files?

- This could also possibly be caused by a damaged ACT! preferences file. Please use the manual method to rebuild preferences found in the bottom section of this Knowledgebase article: (I followed the instructions to the tee, and it still isn't working.)

I have been dealing with this problem for a long time and have spent numerous hours trying to resolve it. I am getting frustrated. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Michael

Platinum Elite Contributor

Will it print if you just select 4 or 5 contacts, or a single contact?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greig,

Wow, I tried that and it worked at first. So I thought that maybe it was the reboot since all the changes were made that you suggested and I did that corrected the problem.

However right after it worked, I tried another database and got the exact same error message even with only one contact in the selected look up. Then I went back to my original database where it just worked and it stopped working again! Go figure!

I tried it again and it worked again with only a few contacts. So I think you may be on the right track with just selecting a few contacts. Why is that the case? Years ago, I was able to print very large databases in the same exact manner with no problems or errors. I probably was using an earlier version of ACT at the time. (I have had several versions so far.) Please advise why this error issue is now the case.

Also please advise of any corrective measures that I can avoid these type errors in the future.

Much appreciated!

Michael