Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Preferences - System & User

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Contributor
Accepted Solution

Preferences - System & User

Is there a document someplace that show which preferences are user based and which are system based?

Many thanks.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 18
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎01-31-2018 12:11 PM
Administrator

Re: Preferences - System & User

I don't believe we have a document that details these exactly - if there are any specific preferences you're interested in knowing feel free to ask.

On the whole, when you look at the preferences window - everything on the Admin tab is a 'database' specific preference, whereas the other preferences are a mix of user and system specifics.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎01-31-2018 12:11 PM
Administrator

I don't believe we have a document that details these exactly - if there are any specific preferences you're interested in knowing feel free to ask.

On the whole, when you look at the preferences window - everything on the Admin tab is a 'database' specific preference, whereas the other preferences are a mix of user and system specifics.
Bronze Contributor

I'll mark this as a solution, but if anyone knows a way to distinguish between user and system in preferences, other than the system admin tab, do let me know.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 18
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's not quite that simple...

1. First, there are some stored in each database ... Most of those are from Admin Prefs Tab for all users or set with ActDIAG
  2. Then, some are stored in local files like those in these folders (You can open the XML files in Notepad and look at them)
    1. C:\Users\[WindowsUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Act\Act Data
      Those are for the logged in Windows user (as opposed to the Act! user)
    2. C:\ProgramData\Act\Act Data
      The Scheduler, which is for the machine
  3. Finally, some are stored in the Windows Registry

Some of the email functions (for example) are a mix of the User Pref files and the Reg.

So, you really have three sets - Database, Windows Machine, and local Windows User (rather than Act! user)