Do you mean 

Preferences Lost Intermittenly with ACT v16

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Preferences Lost Intermittenly with ACT v16

Act! Pro Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 4

Running ACT on a new Dell OptiPlex AIO with Win7 Pro SP1

Not that it is relevant, but just in case I am using MS Office 2010 Professional on the same computer. Linked to Outlook 2010

Database is on local machine only. (No shared server)

I had purchased ACT v16 when it first came out. I have had a recurring issue where I lose all my customized preferences intermittently since I bought this new ACT v16. It hasn't happened in a while then it happened yesterday and yet again this morning. I spent all my time re-customizing all my preferences to how I like them yesterday and then one day later they were all reset back to default like I was a new customer that just installed ACT! It is very frustrating and time consuming to recreate all my customizations in the preferences. The fonts are too small and I have to change every section in the ACT preferences that allows me to increase the font size, etc.

I don't know what is causing the ACT preferences to be lost. Today I ran ACTdiag and deleted all the preferences that way before I re-customized all of the preferences yet again.

After trying to research, somebody had mentioned to change my Windows 7 display from what I currently have of 125% to the default of 100% and he feels that will correct the problem. However that is not a viable option for me since I can hardly see the fonts for all other programs that way. So the cure would be worse than the actual problem.

Any suggestions on how to correct this losing my ACT preferences issue? If not, is there a simple way to restore them without losing my most updated data? I do back up my ACT database almost every day. But I don't want to restore it back to yesterday's info, or I will lose info entered the day after that point. I'm wondering if the personal data file backup and restore would restore my preferences. I haven't tried that yet. There is a box for menus & toolbars which I checked off. If it happens again, I will try to restore just the personal files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author clubmed111
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Preferences Lost Intermittenly with ACT v16

A huge thanks to Dave Worral - ACT! Trainer, Reseller and Consultant (and Alan Duet, Swiftpage VP, Product Management) from Act! Fanatics.Group on LinkedIn! Answer pasted below:

(A problem resolution that actually works for when the lost preferences issue occurs.) Although it would be nice if the problem didn't occur in the first place.

I had been suffering with this very time consuming & frustrating lost preference issue so many times, that I actually lost count. It started with when I first upgraded to ACT v16 when it first came out.

I just today again lost my preferences and had a chance to put his suggestion to the test..This time latest suggestion by Dave Worral (from Alan Duet) actually worked! Previously I had tried so many other suggestions and lots of my own attempts to be able to recover my lost preferences, but none were able to fully recover them until now!

Very, very much appreciated!!

Thanks again!
Michael

Here is his suggestion:

You may want to compare simply resetting whatever Preferences may have been lost with this option:
Create a Preferences Backup:
1) On your computer, set your Act! Preferences.
2) Exit Act! Wait 3-5 seconds.
3) Run: %appdata%
a. Browse to C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\Preferences.
b. Copy the Preferences folder and Paste it back into the ACT Data folder.
c. Note: Windows 7 automatically renames the new folder to "Preferences - Copy".

Restore Preferences:
If you lose your Preferences later:
1) Exit Act!
2) Copy the CONTENTS of the “Preferences – Copy” folder and Paste them into the ...ACT Data\Preferences folder.
3) Choose Overwrite...
a. Note: In W7 The Copy File dialog box appears. Choose Copy and Replace. Check the “Do this for the next _ files”
4) Open Act! and... Git back to work!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Still having issues. I lost my ACT v16 preferences yet again today. This seems to be happening even more frequently. Very time consuming to rebuild all my preferences from the "Tools" menu each time this happens.I am extremely frustrated with this recurring issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to correct this issue. They will be much appreciated!

MG

Side note: ACT customer support via phone was absolutely no help what so ever. I feel there should NOT be a charge for fixing an ACT software issue!!! That should be done internally or at least assisting a customer resolve an ACT software issue. Not trying to gouge them for yet more money. Having a program that works correctly is what I paid for when I bought the program. I don't feel I should have to pay extra to fix software bugs too. I am very disappointed on how I was treated. After being a long time loyal ACT customer, I found I couldn't get any tech help via phone what so ever, even though this is a tech issue with their program and not just an end-user question. I have bought approximately 4 versions of ACT and I guessing this is my last due to the way they treat their customers. I also use to recommend ACT to many people that asked me over the years. Not so much, now!

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your preferences. Unfortunately, a backup of the database does not create a backup of any of the preferences, where your customizations are stored. You can, however, create a backup of the personal files. For more information, see the following article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28607

However, that's really only good as a precautionary measure, and is by no means a permanent solution to your problem. The preferences should hold, and you shouldn't have to reset them randomly. While it is true that the 125% can cause issues with the preferences, usually it's more of an issue with the way things are displaying on the screen, moreso than the preferences not being retained (although the screen setting can cause this occasionally). I have another solution that you could try, if you haven't already. There's a particular preference file that may be damaged, that is not being fixed when you're rebuilding the preferences. See the article below and note where it references locations for Sage ACT! 2013 (the locations are the same as v16)

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14618

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Elise,

Thank you very much for the reply. I don't think I can stop from losing the ACT preferences until I figure out what is causing it. As you mentioned restoring the personal files didn't work.

Although I think you may have pointed me in the correct direction to a temporary fix. Which I will really appreciate if it works! After reading that article I just copied all those preference files in the link you listed and pasted them on dropbox. Then the next time this ACT lost preference issue happens, maybe I can just paste the saved files back in place of the existing corrupted files! Or follow the directions to a "tee!" That will save a whole lot of time on my part! 

I'm just wondering what is causing the problem to begin with. Could going into Win7 sleep mode and logging back in later on when I return to my computer, be causing the ACT preference files to be corrupted, thus making me lose my preferences?

Thanks again if that trick works with replacing those preference files with saved old files (while the preferences were customized and fine), that will be a major help!

Much appreciated.

Michael

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Michael,

It sounds like you are doing this so you can see things better?

Curious what size monitor are you using with that awesome dell optiplex pc?

I use 22 and 24 inch wide screen monitors.

Recommend closing act and any other applications such as MS products,

Run ACTDIAG

select databases/ list databases

and run the db Rebuild options. actv16 has 4 of them.

I do this on my databases approx once per month.

Manually check for windows updates.

-or-

Create a larger act layout.

You can also edit/modify your ACT! Layouts(create layout from and existing one - file/save as),

Then increase the Field font sizes for each and every field..

Windows also has a magnify tool and you can display large icons on your desktop.

For browsing, if using IE browser, rite click on upper browser skin area

and insure chck in box to display status bar in lower rite corner of browser,

then you can easily change your zoom level when browser.

Smiley Happy FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the suggestions! Mine is a 23" Monitor to answer your question.

If I run ACTDIAG rebuild db and back up my main databases before I do so, is there any chance of losing any data, settings, etc?

Do I need to do that rebuild db for each database, or does that take care of ACT globally? (Meaning do I need to this for each of my databases separately if I run Rebuild db or just run one time for all databases.) I'm not familiar with ACTDIAG that much, except the rare occasion when I had to use it in the past for one reason or another. Is that rebuild db similar to re-indexing, but more thorough maintenance for ACT?

I do check for Windows updates manually as well. I have it set to auto checking, but additional check on my own.

One other question since you mentioned layouts. (Maybe that should be a different topic?) But even when save my layouts, the horizontal line with the tabs (in the Contacts - > Detail View) constantly shifts when I close ACT and then reopen the next time. Every day I manually have to drag the line up with the tabs so I can see my notes, history, activities, etc. in a larger portion of the viewing display. It seems to shift back to the bottom on its own. Anyway to set that line to be static and stay where I dragged last and tried to save that view?

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always backup your act databases and personal files before doing any major stuff.

Run the ACTDIAG database Rebuild options for each of your act databases seperately that you are using.

No need to run it for your demo database.

The TAB line is easily pulled up or down as needed. It usually starts in same position each time a act db is opened.

No way to make it static until Swiftpage designs it into product.

Here is some good info re ACTDIAG Rebuild options  and Resetting of Select Preferences

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26854/kw/2013%20actdiag/related/1

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27607/kw/2013%20actdiag note info re resetting of select preferences

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11660/kw/2013%20actdiag/related/1

http://kb.swiftpage.com/ci/fattach/get/32623/0/filename/ActDiag+User%27s+Guide.pdf   Smiley Happy FSB

Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Time will tell what works to resolve my lost preferences issue. Right now it is working, but it is an intermittent problem.

At least I have some ideas to possibly prevent it from happening again, such as your preventive maintenance suggestions using ACTDIAG. Also I believe those ACT preference files mentioned by Elise earlier in this post trail will really help by relatively easily restoring my preferences if lost again. (Rather than having to rebuild them each time from scratch which was very time consuming and frustrating.)

As far as the Contacts -> Detail View line with the tabs, it just doesn't go back to the default, it is all over the place. Sometimes real low, sometimes in middle, and rarely where I left it before I closed ACT and then reopened it. Don't really understand why, but just another annoying ACT characterist. Althought that is minor and I can just readjust by dragging back to where I want it every day when I open ACT.

Thanks for your time and all your suggestions!
Much appreciated.
Michael

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding your TAB Line and Preferences Prob,

If you have multiple act databases on one pc,

then try ALWAYS opening your favorite database first every time when you first open act., we will call it database number 1

then open other databases after that as needed, use file / open db....

This will also help you retain your Custom Column View Settings of your favorite db whilst in List View.

You should also be on Hotfix 5

Reference link http://act.com/support/downloads/act-pro-v16/ 

Smiley Happy FSB

Copper Contributor

Unfortunately I have been using my main database each day and it that line still seems to jump all over the place.