Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Power outage damages SQL/ACT files

Power outage damages SQL/ACT files

Hello, I have a XP PC running SQL 5 and Act (9?)  There was a power outage at the office on Nov 3rd while running ACT and since then we are not able to eccess ACT Several issues pop up from SQL errors. Re installed SQL but same errors. The only way I got it to work fine was to update to ACT 11 via free trial after several failed attemps with new SQL R8. I had to use thrid party uninstaller as Windows uninstaller gave errors while uninstalling SQL. At one point PC refused to boot after trying to fix SQL.

New ACT loads fine. Open old database (.pad file?) under My Documents and asks for password. We know the password but no longer opens the file. Also file seems to be a bit smaller than I think it would be for so many contacts. I just want to confirm this is the only file needed for contact information.

Also, other damaged parts were Office 2007, USB driver damage, OS boot files. The PC is on life support right now

I want to start fresh with the PC. Format and start fresh but I really need these contact files up and running in order to move forward.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Silver Contributor

Re: Power outage damages SQL/ACT files

here are a couple of thoughts.  THe pad file is not your data, so it's size is irrelevant.  it is a text file that points to your data. Your data consists of a .alf and a .adf file along with the supplemental data files that contain your database name.

You might try stopping sql on the old machine, going through windows explorer and moving these three entities. Then on the new machine, open ACT, choose file, Open and open the .adf file. This will reattach the files on the new machine and make a new .pad file there.

IF this doesn't work consider an ACT CErtified Consultant. This will assure getting the job done correctly without wasting a lot of your time or risking your data.

Also, if this helps, here is some documentation on what I'm sugesting you do.

http://blog.acttrainer.com/moving-an-act-database-to-another-machine-when-there-is-no-backup/

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I will check it out. I'm assuming .alf and .adf files will be same name as the .pad file. Is it possible to delete .pad file from folder then click on .adf? I'll just rename it for testing for now. I'm not transfering any data to a new machine. I'm just trying to confirm that nothing was damaged. I want to put everything to an external hard drive. Then reinstall Windows along with all other software and data back to the same old machine.

Thanks jonmklub.

Silver Contributor

Sorry for the delay, but no no no. don't rename the file. you will break things.  Open ACT, File, Open and choose .alf from the drop down instead of .pad.  The pad file will recreate.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider