Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Possible to use different sa password for SQL Server 2005 Standard?

Copper Contributor

Possible to use different sa password for SQL Server 2005 Standard?

I have a server with SQL Server 2005 Standard installed with another apps that makes use of SQL database.

For ACT!, i know that to install SQL manually, we need to install another SQL instance (ACT7) with its specific sa password.

Question: If it is not possible to change sa password, would it be possible to still install ACT to make use of ACT7 SQL instance, i.e. for ACT! apps to connect to ACT7 instance?

Copper Contributor

Re: Possible to use different sa password for SQL Server 2005 Standard?

The "sa password" is a misnomer as applied to ACT!  Your SQL Server 2005 sa password will still work with other databases on your system.  The "ACT! sa password whould be called the ACT! System password or something to differentiate it, as it's not the same thing, so ACT! will run with it's own and other instances of SQL Server will do their thing independtly.
Copper Contributor

managed to install ACT! 2010 into my existing server with SQL Server 2005. ACT! installation actually prompts for password to connect to ACT7 instance.

However, if i try to connect to my ACT7 using SQL Server Management Studio tool, I couldn't login using Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication (username: sa, password: ActbySage1!). I got the following error message:

"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: shared memory, error: 0 - no process is on the other end of the pipe.)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

any idea why i cant connect to my ACT7 in my SQL 2005?

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you don't have the SA Pass utility, ACT! randomises the password.

Why are you trying to connect with SMS?

Copper Contributor

do you mean that once we initially installed SQL with the default password ActbySage1! and then install ACT! client, the SQL sa password for the ACT7 instance will be randomized?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Correct.

You really only need the SA to backup with corporate backup solutions... 

So, what are you trying to do with SBS? Maybe another option?