Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Poblematic Data Structure

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Poblematic Data Structure

We are a firm of accountants (apologies for that!).  Some of our customers have a number of companies.  Hence, in our ACT! Marketing database, the same Contact name appears multiple times, albeit against a different company in each case.  Often, these people have the same e-mail address for all of their businesses.  We are in big danger of upsetting some people by sending them 5 or 6 letters/e-mails about the same thing.  What's the best way to handle this situation?

We really need a separate record for each business so we can record what products they purchase from us - and more importantly, the products they don't purchase from us!

I have 'played' with ACT! for many years but I'm stumped on this one.  Any suggestions on the best way forward?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fruity
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Poblematic Data Structure

A single contact can be linked to several companies so you should consider making a separate company for each company but only have a single contact record for each contact. If you are using the opportunities to record sales then each opportunity should be linked to the appropriate company.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

Rather than create the companies as contacts, create them as companies. This way they could share multiple contacts/email addresses and other information.

Some layout customization could also alleviate some of the replication when sending emails. Our CC's do a phenomal job of customizing your ACT! database to meet your needs, contacting one of them could be an effective means to an end.

I'm very grateful for your input.  However..... 

The problem is one contact with multiple companies - rather than one company having multiple contacts, which ACT! handles very well!?!?!?!

Not sure what you mean by layout customisation helping with email replication?  I've tailored many ACT! databases but I'm sorry that I've missed your point here.  Are you able to amplify?

Solution
Accepted by topic author Fruity
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

A single contact can be linked to several companies so you should consider making a separate company for each company but only have a single contact record for each contact. If you are using the opportunities to record sales then each opportunity should be linked to the appropriate company.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

Ok, I was misunderstanding a bit, thought you had companies with multiple contacts, not visa versa.

I'll think on this for a bit and get back to you if I think of anything.

Makes perfect and obvious sense now you've said it!   Many thanks Roy....

Re: Problematic Data Structure

Okay, I've set up my company records and have associated contacts.  I have a multi-select Products field on the Company layout and have populated this.  I do a query on this field and it happily selects all the companies that have a certain product......

......How can I now perform a mail-merge to all the contacts associated with all the company records selected?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Problematic Data Structure

You'll have to do a mail merge with each company, or you could associate all of those contacts with a group and MM to that group.