Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Please help. ACT2010 suddenly will not open...with error message

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Please help. ACT2010 suddenly will not open...with error message

Hi there.  After spending approximately an hour to compose this same message, I previewed it to make sure that it looked okay, and after clicking cancel because I needed to make some changes, the whole message disappeared, and even though it said that there was a draft copy saved, I can't find it anywhere.

Oh well, live and learn.  Now for my problem.  I am trying to open my Act 2010 database, and it will not open.  What I get is an error box that pops up and says:

The database *********(deleted for privacy) could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.

At the bottom right-hand corner of the box there is an OK button and a Help button.  If I click on OK, the first thing that happens is that it brings up the "Open" box with three different options to click on.  The first one is a folder that simply has the name of my database with some various files included.  Then a dash followed by "database files".  The next folder or file says Act2010Demo, and the last one is my database.  If I click on my database to open it, or access it, I get the same message that I posted above.  If I click the help button, it does nothing.  Pressing F1 does nothing as well.

I guess I should add that, even though I didn't think I had to disable my firewall, I did just because.  I do not have a database server, and I should not have to have permission to access it.

In the open box, there are three choices of the type of file it appears that I can open.  One is ACT! Database (*.PAD), another is a selection that appears to be for older versions of ACT! that ends with .DBF.  The last one is: ACT! Database (*.ADF).  If I select this last one, and try to open my database, I get a message that says: "You don't have permission to open this file.  Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission".  Well, I am the file owner, I am the only person that uses this computer, and I should not have to obtain permission, just as I stated earlier in regards to the other message that comes up.

I also have had a message, that says something about having to configure my database, but I can't get that to repeat now.  From what I remember of it, it just brought up a box with the name of my database highlighted, something about Outlook, and something else I can't remember.  There are options to add or remove, and something else, but I don't remember what it was.  And it didn't do anything when I pressed cancel.

I am sorry this has gotten so long, but I wanted you experts to have as much information as possible so that you could give me some solutions to this.  Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author id2nv2nj2ca
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Please help. ACT2010 suddenly will not open...with error message

It sounds like the SQL service for Act! isn't running.  To check this:

- click on Windows Start button

- if XP > select Run

- if Vista/Win7 > use the Search field

- enter the command 'Services.msc'

On the Services screen, scroll to 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column.  If it is blank, right click on the service and select Start.  Once started, reopen Act! and your database.

Other steps for troubleshooting this message are in this article: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author id2nv2nj2ca
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

It sounds like the SQL service for Act! isn't running.  To check this:

- click on Windows Start button

- if XP > select Run

- if Vista/Win7 > use the Search field

- enter the command 'Services.msc'

On the Services screen, scroll to 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column.  If it is blank, right click on the service and select Start.  Once started, reopen Act! and your database.

Other steps for troubleshooting this message are in this article: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

gmartin, THANK YOU.  It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that can be found on the internet, especially when I have heard the internet described as the bathroom wall of society.  Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for giving me a solution that worked.  I have absolutely no idea what an SQL service even is, but  you do and you helped me.  Thank you again.  Have a great week.

Avid Listener

I have the same issue but what I did was move my databases (all on the C drive on the same computer) from C:/Documentsandsettings/(myname)/mydocuments/ACT/actforwindows8/databases/

C:/Documentsandsettings/(myname)/mydocuments/ACT/actforwindows9/databases/

I get the same message have tried to delete the .pad file and have opened up the *.adf file and tried to recreate the *.pad file but the message i get is the database already exists.  I have stopped and restarted the SQL server (ACT  7) with no luck.

any suggestions?

Roy

Roy,

The SQL program keeps track of any 'attached' databases - since you have moved the database files, SQL most likely has now listed your databases as 'Suspect or Recover'.  You can use the Actdiag program to disconnect the databases from SQL and then open your databases with the ADF file (to recreate the PAD).

To use Actdiag:

- click on Windows Start button> select Run

- enter command 'ACTDIAG' > hit enter

- you may get some error messages while it opens > click Continue

- on the Actdiag screen > select Databases (in left hand column) > select Database List

- because of the possible Suspect database(s), you may have to cilck on Databases > Database List a few times

- when the Database List screen is presented > locate the names of the databases you are attempting to open and check the Status column

- if it is listed as 'Suspect' or 'Recover' > left click on the database name (to highlight the line) > then scroll to the right to see the location listed for the database

- if it still references the Act for Windows 8 folder (where the database was previously) > right click on the database name and select 'Delete'

- this will remove the database from the list

- you will now be able to open the database using the ADF file (be sure to delete the PAD file first)

Greg Martin
Sage
Avid Listener

Greg

when i Open actdiag i get this error message "could not connect to the SQL Server Instance.  Click yes to continue and I do so. I get to the point of the list of data bases and cannot get any of them to pull up.

Here is the msg i am getting at the bottom of ACTDIAG

: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Unable to open the physical file "C:\Documents and Settings\roymyers\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 8\Databases\Truckstops.ADF". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)".
Database 'Truckstops' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Documents and Settings\roymyers\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 8\Databases\Truckstops.ALF" may be incorrect.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.ع()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.BindDataGrid()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection..ctor(SqlConnection ConnSAConnection)
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_Databases()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.get_ԛ()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.ח(Object Ԉ, EventArgs ԉ)
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.֒(Object Ԉ, EventArgs ԉ)

with a not connected at the bottom.  The database files are in act for windows 9 file not the windows 8 file.

SQL Server (act 7) is running.  the reason i moved all the data bases from windows 8 to windows 9 file is ACT2010 always opens in the windows 9 file and it is a pain to move back and forth since i run so many different databases.  When I move the databases back to windows 8 file they still do not work.

Any more suggestions??? I am stumped

Roy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello rrohloff,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. It looks like the details of your post did not display. This is due to you using Internet Explorer 9 as your browser, which is not yet fully supported by this forum. To properly post in this forum, you will either need to put IE9 into IE8 compatibility mode for this site or use another browser. We look forward to hearing from you.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Griegg:  Yes I was using IE9 and had to go back to IE8. 

I am having same issue, made sure sql server was restarted, did stop and also start, tried actdiags and get error.

Last error Operating system error 3 cannot find .adf/.alf (going from memory as the message I copied and pasted was using IE9 so was lost).

do you have any other options? How do I get the database to open? Does it seem like an error with the .alf or .adf file versus the actual .pad file?