Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Phone number default formats for phone and mobile

Copper Contributor

Phone number default formats for phone and mobile

Hi

For contacts there is a phone field and a mobile number field.

How do I get the phone to default to one format, e.g. (xx) xxxx xxxx and the mobile to another e.g. xxxx xxx xxx. At the moment they both default to one format marked as 'the default'.

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Phone number default formats for phone and mobile

In Australia, we're lucky as all phone formats are xx-xxxx-xxxx (mobiles are 04)

If you're in a country that uses different formats for different phone types, then you should use free form

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike,

They might be all in that one format for you in Australia as you record numbers - but flicking through a pile of Australian business cards on my desk indicates that the overwhelming majority of people use the formats I indicated above. For landline numbers, people tend to put the area code explicitly in brackets for the format "(0x) xxxx xxxx". The second most common format for mobile phone numbers after "xxxx xxx xxx" is "+61 xxx xxx xxx", but the former format is far more frequent.

In any case, the people I talk to stick to these formats, and I'd like to stick with these standard conventions as above. How can I best get the landline phone format to apply to the landline phone number and the mobile phone number format to apply to the mobile phone number?

Thanks 

The people who use xxxx-xxx-xxx for mobile phones in Australia are using an old format from when Telstra wouldn't permit people to keep their number when changing carrier and so 04 meant mobile and the next 2 digits were for the carrier.

Since the ability to move numbers was forced by the government on them some years ago. the 2nd pair cannot be considered part of the STD code any longer.

If you want differerent formats for numbers in the same country, you can create them by clicking on the Format phone number button to the right of the phone field

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike,

I'm fine with creating new formats (for example I created a format for US based numbers) . . . my question is more how to set one format as the default for one field and a different format as the default for another. Within the format editor I can see how to set one as the default which seems to apply for all fields. I want to set the default for the numbering format on a per field basis.

Thanks!

lmackinnon wrote:

Hi Mike,

I'm fine with creating new formats (for example I created a format for US based numbers) . . . my question is more how to set one format as the default for one field and a different format as the default for another. Within the format editor I can see how to set one as the default which seems to apply for all fields. I want to set the default for the numbering format on a per field basis.

Thanks!

If your database is set up correctly, there would already be a format for US based number. Creating an additional one is likely to prevent any dialing software from being able to correctly work

The default format is on a country by country basis, the way the international TAPI standard define it to work.

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

You're probably right about an existing US format.

When I bring up the format editor it has the heading "Australian formats". Since I don't know how to change this, I added the US format here.

I don't think I need to do any direct dialling from the software anyway. 

In any case, this still leaves unresolved how to set different format defaults for different fields.

Regards, 

Lauchlan 

Tuned Listener

Those fields should be independent of each other. If you select the box next to the phone field and set it to default to one format and then click on the box next to the mobile field and set its default to something else, it should appear that way each time you use either field. However, we could be on different versions of ACT! and there could have been some changes in the program.

The main format for each country need to match the TAPI settings in Windows.

You could try setting the Mobile Phone field to a different format as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6fb6tx

With direct dialling, it's important to plan for it... it's a pain to fix it if you decide to do it later... eg for faxing or sync to a PDA or smartphone