Do you mean 

Phone Format Country codes

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Phone Format Country codes

GLComputing wrote:

GrahamS wrote:
Hi Speros,
Sounds similar to my problem (in NZ also) but I only got the country code corrupted (defaulted to USA) when I updated the contact record linked fields from the Company record IF the phone number was changed or new in the Company record. See my posts on this (click on my ID on the message board). I figured it was an ACT9 bug. Sad to see it happening in ACT10. Have you resolved it yet?

Graham,

See my post to Speros... I am not aware of any issue for NZ users, but if there is, they would know.

Hi Mike, thanks for your interest in this vexatious issue. I'm not sure that Speros problem is exactly the same as mine. I did call our local ACT consultants who are with the company I purchased ACT from and I did my training with. They also installed it with me , so it is not an amateur install problem! I got the consultant to replicate the error on his system, but he had no solution. They wanted to bill me $35 per 1/4 hour to keep on it - no thanks. Hence my research in this forum, which I found by my own Googling efforts, not by any pointer from the consultants, sad to say.
I just checked my previous post on this issue (13/2/08) and spotted your recent reply which tells all! Thanks very much. They never indicated it was a known bug. Now it is just a matter of finding the work around with least key strokes. Currently when entering new contacts and companies I have a new company and contact record open at the same time. As I am usually copying from the contacts www I copy and paste the ph # to both records, enter the coy data on its record, enter the contact name then link. I think under the circumstances it's quicker than using add/remove contacts/new contact on the company.  Thanks again for your great contributions.
Graham
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yeah Graham, in this thread, I didn't realise you were creating the contacts that way.... and that's why the ACCs and others wouldn't have realised it.

Creating them normally should work
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

GLComputing wrote:

Different default formats for different phone fields does not stick for me in ACT!9. BTW, what is the difference between using % or # in the formats? Most of mine use #.

I think % is ACT! 10... can't find a reference to verify this, so not 100% sure

Both appear in ACT! 9, in edit formats for Aus (# #### #### or (%%) %%%% %%%%) and US (### ### #### or (%%%) %%%-%%%%), but not in NZ! Weird huh?
Graham
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Yeah Graham, in this thread, I didn't realise you were creating the contacts that way.... and that's why the ACCs and others wouldn't have realised it.

Creating them normally should work

It seems that no matter how I create the contact, if a ph field is blank when I do an update linked fields from the coy, it will do the cc1 drama, which takes a lot of keystrokes to reverse! I think for safety's I will unlink the phone numbers!
What would you say is creating normally? Thanks again, Graham.
Highlighted

Highlighted

GrahamS wrote:
Both appear in ACT! 9, in edit formats for Aus (# #### #### or (%%) %%%% %%%%) and US (### ### #### or (%%%) %%%-%%%%), but not in NZ! Weird huh?

Maybe # allows alpha characters and % only allows numeric?

I don't think NZ has a standard for all numbers like AU and Nth America does.
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Maybe # allows alpha characters and % only allows numeric?

I don't think NZ has a standard for all numbers like AU and Nth America does.

I think you're probably right but the other way round. Taking Excel as an example, # means numeric. It appears using % allows you to format so (%%%) %%%-%%%% prints as (113) 123-4567, whereas using # does not allow punctuation. Now i'm wondering if the % formats still work with a dialler. BTW NZ now has fixed national STD ph number format - ## ### ####.
Highlighted

GrahamS wrote:
I think you're probably right but the other way round. Taking Excel as an example, # means numeric. It appears using % allows you to format so (%%%) %%%-%%%% prints as (113) 123-4567, whereas using # does not allow punctuation. Now i'm wondering if the % formats still work with a dialler. BTW NZ now has fixed national STD ph number format - ## ### ####.

Yes, % allows alfa char - I just tested. I've actually found conflicting info in the Help on this.

Neither would allow punctuation as this is done by the mask... for that you'd need free-form

Re dialler, it's not the mask, but the data in the field that would matter. I use % but I dial using itTAPI
I haven't tried dialling with a character to see what happens

Does that NZ format cover all numbers including mobiles?
If so, get one of the ACCs to get Ken and Kurt on Melb to request it from the US dev guys to be the standard in the next version
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Does that NZ format cover all numbers including mobiles?
If so, get one of the ACCs to get Ken and Kurt on Melb to request it from the US dev guys to be the standard in the next version

No, mobiles vary. All start ###, but then can be ### ### or ### #### and now I think Vodaphone have a #### ####.
I use 3 formatsf  for NZ:

Ph: ## ### #### (Default)
Mob: ### ### ####
Toll free, user pays etc (0800, 0508, 0900 etc) #### ### ####

I put toll free anagram numbers in free form (e.g. 0800 trailer (872 4537))
Cheers Graham

Highlighted