Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Phone Format Country codes

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,789
Country: Australia

Re: Phone Format Country codes



macriss wrote:
Hi Thanks, that was very good information as to how the phone fields work and yes I can see the logic. I did as you suggested but what I was trying to achieve, bearing in mind your reply and information, is to make every country code for every new contact record created be New Zealand by default if the person lives in say UK then I will change that manually. This is the way it worked in my ACT 6.0 database. I stumped for solutions. Regards Speros Macris


That is how it should work in ACT! 10 also.
 
Just to see if it's a database issue, try creating a new database and make sure you set your My Record and Phone field country codes to NZ. Then add new contacts and see how it goes.
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,789
Country: Australia

Re: Phone Format Country codes



Gops wrote:
This may not be scientific, but it works for me. In India, we have some real wierd phone formats. The area codes of big metros are 2 digits, but otherwise it can be 3-5 digits. The phone numbers in metros are 8 digits, else where it can be 6-7. But all cell phones are 10 digits!Smiley Sad
 
So while on my record, i select the phone format button and key in a format like (%%) %%%%-%%%% for landline numbers and set this format to default. Same with cell phone -%%%%%-%%%%% and set this format to default.
 
Works for me!


Gopi, do you find it supports different default formats for different fields and it sticks?
Highlighted
New Member
Posts: 15
Country: New Zealand

Re: Phone Format Country codes

Mike Thanks good plan will try and advise of result. Cheers Speros M
Highlighted
New Member
Posts: 15
Country: New Zealand

Re: Phone Format Country codes

That was helpful many thanks
Highlighted
New Member
Posts: 15
Country: New Zealand

Re: Phone Format Country codes

Hi Mike Created a new database but still issue prevails. Just have to put up with it I suppose. But annoying as when I sync with my Palm Treo if I dont remeber to change the country code to NZ I cant call the person as it inserts a 61. Maybe I should move to Australia. Speros
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor
Posts: 228
Country: New_Zealand

Re: Phone Format Country codes

Hi Speros,
Sounds similar to my problem (in NZ also) but I only got the country code corrupted (defaulted to USA) when I updated the contact record linked fields from the Company record IF the phone number was changed or new in the Company record. See my posts on this (click on my ID on the message board). I figured it was an ACT9 bug. Sad to see it happening in ACT10. Have you resolved it yet?
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,789
Country: Australia

Re: Phone Format Country codes



macriss wrote:
Hi Mike Created a new database but still issue prevails. Just have to put up with it I suppose. But annoying as when I sync with my Palm Treo if I dont remeber to change the country code to NZ I cant call the person as it inserts a 61. Maybe I should move to Australia. Speros



Speros, Why not speak to one of the NZ Certified Consultants? I'm sure it can't be a bug or they would have bitched about it before now :-)
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,789
Country: Australia

Re: Phone Format Country codes



GrahamS wrote:
Hi Speros,
Sounds similar to my problem (in NZ also) but I only got the country code corrupted (defaulted to USA) when I updated the contact record linked fields from the Company record IF the phone number was changed or new in the Company record. See my posts on this (click on my ID on the message board). I figured it was an ACT9 bug. Sad to see it happening in ACT10. Have you resolved it yet?

Graham,
 
See my post to Speros... I am not aware of any issue for NZ users, but if there is, they would know.
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor
Posts: 228
Country: New_Zealand

Re: Phone Format Country codes



GLComputing wrote:


Gops wrote:
This may not be scientific, but it works for me. In India, we have some real wierd phone formats. The area codes of big metros are 2 digits, but otherwise it can be 3-5 digits. The phone numbers in metros are 8 digits, else where it can be 6-7. But all cell phones are 10 digits!Smiley Sad
 
So while on my record, i select the phone format button and key in a format like (%%) %%%%-%%%% for landline numbers and set this format to default. Same with cell phone -%%%%%-%%%%% and set this format to default.
 
Works for me!


Gopi, do you find it supports different default formats for different fields and it sticks?


Different default formats for different phone fields does not stick for me in ACT!9. BTW, what is the difference between using % or # in the formats? Most of mine use #.
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,789
Country: Australia

Re: Phone Format Country codes



Different default formats for different phone fields does not stick for me in ACT!9. BTW, what is the difference between using % or # in the formats? Most of mine use #.



I think % is ACT! 10... can't find a reference to verify this, so not 100% sure