Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Phone Field format

Nickel Contributor

Phone Field format

Is there a way to disable the "Free Form" format in the Phone Field editing window?

For example, I prefer using the %%%-%%%-%%%% but every time I want to edit a Phone format and click the button beside the Phone, the default is always the Free Form option instead of the %%%-%%%-%%% that I have a check mark in the Edit Formats.

PS - I got into editing a lot of Phone numbers because a sync from my Blackberry with Handheld Contact had some "ones" in front of some of the phone numbers.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Phone Field format

There isn't a way to remove/disable the Free-Form format.

When you change the phone format default - does it update the 'Enter Phone Number' screen (first screen presented when clicking on the button next to the phone field)?  After setting the default to %%%-%%%-%%%%, if you click on another contact and check the field format - does it display the % format or Free-Form?

If it holds at this point, test syncing and see if that is when it defaults back to the Free-Form.  Also test closing/reopening your database.

And just in case you are running Vista or Windows 7, try running the ACT! program with the 'Run As Administrator' option: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test.

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

When I click on anther contact the Format is whatever that contact's phone format is.

Platinum Super Contributor

I haven't been able to reproduce your results (assuming I'm using the correct steps).

So - 2 tests:

1. If you set the phone default and then create a new contact, does it retain the newly assigned default for the phone field?

2. Open the demo database to test.  This is to determine if there is an issue specific to your main database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

I set the phone format and then created a new contact. The format stays as I set it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Have you also check the format of all phone fields in your My Record is correct?
Nickel Contributor

Yes. I have corrected all 6 phone formats in My Record. (Phone, Mobile, Fax, Home, Alt Phone and Pager.)

Now when I create a new Contact the phone number enters in the correct format that I prefer. %%%-%%%-%%%%.

But I still have a bunch of Contacts that have the number 1 in front of the phone number. This came about when I once had Handheld Contact set to sync back to ACT! and HHC uses the Country Code in their phone format. I have to manually change those phone numbers as a work within ACT.

I was wondering if I could "select" all of those that need corrected, in the List View / Edit Mode and globally delete the 1 ?