Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Performance issues or possible installation corruption?

Performance issues or possible installation corruption?

Hello.  I know there are other threads about preformance problems, but I didn't see descriptions of the symptoms we are experiencing.

We only a single seat of ACT2009 installed on a Thinkpad R50e.  The laptop is not a screamer.  512Mb Ram, 1.6Ghz pentium M, 40Gb 4200rpm HD

The database is new, made fresh for a new sales rep. Right now, he probably has about 50 contacts entered (a couple days worth of usage)

I realize that the HD and RAM are limiting factors, but I can't accept that they would slow the program to the point that it becomes unusable.

One symptom is strange, incomplete screen redraws when selecting menu drop downs. The menus seem to become partially transparent.

Another is periodic slow-downs which occur after longer periods of acceptable performance.  For instance, during one of these periods of "reluctance", starting on the contact page and simply clicking on the dashboard icon causes the screen to blank for at least a couple minutes.  Then the components of the dashboard very very slowly draw themselves in...

Startup can also be very slow. 

There are no scheduled AV scans, so that is not the issue.  We do have Symantec corporate AV installed..

Hybernate is disabled, and system standby has been pushed back (actually off while plugged in)

Does the desktop SQLServer2005 engine periodically do background maintenance?  I could see that creating access problems, but I am not sure how to mitigate the problem.  

ACT update reports that there are no new updates.  Are there patches for either SQL Server or ACT that can help these problems? 

TIA 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Performance issues or possible installation corruption?

With a 4200 RPM hard Drive and only 512 MEG of RAM, I'm not surprised by the performance you are seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if the some of the system RAM is used for the video. You may see slight performance improvement if you defrag the hard drive, clear any old temp files in the temp folder and max the swap file. If system RAM is being used for the video, try turning off the video hardware acceleration. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks I will try disabling the hdwr acceleration.  I plan on getting more RAM, but a HD swap appears to be impractical as the only options available on Newegg appear to be 5400 rpm drives ( it is an ATA drive )

My concern is that the slowdown is periodic meaning it is something that can possibly be controlled.  Even if the performance of ACT during these episodes was 10x faster it would still be unacceptable, so that leads me to think it is not strictly because of the slower hardware.

I was referring to the swap file, also called the paging field in the virtual memory settings. You can change that through the system properties in the control panel. More RAM will help because it lowers the need to use the virtual memory on the hard drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

@ flommer ,

I'm not a big expert but the effective RAM available for ACT is not 512mb [which is the reccomended amount] in case of a laptop with onboard graphics controller. And if you have display problems , try removing the existing display driver and install the latest. Set hardware accelaration for the graphics processor around 80%. Clear your temp files too.   

Were you able to resolve this? We just purchased ACT! On first run, we have incomplete screen redraws and everything you described. It has consumed way too much of our time trying to resolve. We are told by Sage that it's our problem unless we purchase a support contract. Any insights would be appreciated. We are using a pc with plenty of RAM and processing power.

Please read my posts in this same thread.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

" One symptom is strange, incomplete screen redraws when selecting menu drop downs. The menus seem to become partially transparent " 

This can happen if there are display issues with your graphics hardware or drivers ,also the theme service in windows also can cause similar problems , try Start->Run->Services.msc , stop the  Themes service and reboot the machine and launch act and see if the same issue remains.

" Another is periodic slow-downs which occur after longer periods of acceptable performance.  For instance, during one of these periods of "reluctance", starting on the contact page and simply clicking on the dashboard icon causes the screen to blank for at least a couple minutes.  Then the components of the dashboard very very slowly draw themselves in..."

SQL 2005 is a resource hog in my point of view but nor really a problem if you have at least a gb of RAM and not much of other processes running in the background.  Slow redraw of the dashboard also can be a .NET issue if not a problem with the display software /hardware

"ACT update reports that there are no new updates.  Are there patches for either SQL Server or ACT that can help these problems? "

If you are already in 11.1.183.0 there are no other updates AFIK. SQL server updates normally do worse in most cases so don't bother about them. 

Putting all the things together , ACT 2009 is a relatively new product and came out much later after machines started having more and Cheaper RAM and faster Hard drives. So at least an upgrade of the RAM is better here for marginal /better performance .