Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pending Upgrade

Pending Upgrade

I have 8 users on a new acct that run act 6. They want to upgrade to the most current version but I have a few questions.

Is the phone dialer part of the base act package? Can the databases be converted from 8 to current version? Is there

a feature set that would make the premium version a better fit with only 8 users?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Pending Upgrade

Here are some tips on converting:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/tips-for-converting-act-60-or-earlier.html

There is  phone diallier in the current versions, but I prefer to use itDial

The Premium version has some better workgroup security functions if you need it

Don't upgrade from 6 to 2010. The old version was much faster. Even a high powered computer will struggle with ACT 2010; I'm finding it takes over a minute to load the application.

Don't install the Hotfix 2 just released. It broke my setup with an error about Schema or something. I had to ring ACT Tech Support and after trying their solutions and following the knowledgebase they recommended I use Windows Add/Remove programs and start with a fresh install. Finally I recovered my contacts list.

vaughan wrote:

Don't upgrade from 6 to 2010. The old version was much faster. Even a high powered computer will struggle with ACT 2010; I'm finding it takes over a minute to load the application.

ACT! 2010 loads and opens a database in typically 10 seconds or less on my system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

bronkx wrote:

I have 8 users on a new acct that run act 6. They want to upgrade to the most current version but I have a few questions.

Is the phone dialer part of the base act package?

Yes provided the Windows dialer works. Every since ACT! 3 the ACT! program simply links to the Windows dialer so that must be functioning.

Can the databases be converted from 8 to current version?

Yes. In most cases the conversion is fairly simple. However ACT! 6 didn't do any monitoring regarding the health of the database and unless you happened to hit a problem area, ACT! 6 continued to work. Most problems can be fairly easily corrected but they will cause problems with the conversion until corrected.

Is there a feature set that would make the premium version a better fit with only 8 users?

With eight users the most important could be the hard limit at 10 named users for the standard version. If they have any prospect for growth they should avoid the standard version. Avery important feature for some would be the increased security in the premium version. Remote synchronization is more limited in the standard version. There are also limitations on the configurability of the standard version.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

vaughan wrote:

Don't install the Hotfix 2 just released. It broke my setup with an error about Schema or something. I had to ring ACT Tech Support and after trying their solutions and following the knowledgebase they recommended I use Windows Add/Remove programs and start with a fresh install. Finally I recovered my contacts list.

If it's taking over a minute to open the application, then you either have a very underpowered computer or your Windows OS is very badly configured.

Win XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) fully patched, HP Elitebook Intel P8600 @ 2.40GHz 4GB RAM (2.93GB usable due to 32-bit o/s limitations).
All other applications work fine including ACT!6 until I made the mistake of "upgrading" to ACT!12 (2010).

When properly configured, XP 32bit can access 4GB of RAM

But, the most important fact is the speed of the Hard Drive

That's not quite true, a 32-bit operating system cannot use all 4GB of RAM.

eg.

http://chris.pirillo.com/32-bit-windows-and-4gb-of-ram/

The HDD is a 320GB capacity 5400RPM Sata drive made by Fujitsu.

I think you've identified the problem... SQL on drives 5400 or less will run slowly