Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pending Upgrade

Highlighted

Re: Pending Upgrade

It is still slow after I upgraded to an SSD and a fresh install of Win XP Pro SP3 (32-bit). It takes a minute to load my database of 1591 contacts. If I leave ACT loaded in the background and use the laptop for other tasks eg check e-mail, internet browsing, use Word 2007 and Excel then come back to ACT after some period of time (I haven't measured how long yet) ACT is very slow to respond. It can take up to a minute to change from (not responding) to being usable again. Using Windows Task Manager I can see that there are no other CPU intensive applications running and I can see that the HDD light is not constantly on so I know the HDD is available for ACT to use.

I'm looking forward to SAGE putting some resources into fixing this issue as it can be seen in the other thread on this topic (ACT slow to respond ...) that there are other users who have had the same experience as myself. Besides, ACT 6 worked fast so why is ACT 2010 so slow?

We can't all have slow HDDs and poorly configured Windows setups.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Just  checked,and loaded ACT! and opened a 1900 contact database, 15 seconds. System 64-bit Windows 7, 7200 RPM HD, 8GB RAM. 

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Highlighted

4GB installed, 2.96GB available to Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit).

54 seconds to open my database.

Highlighted

Everything (Windows, ACT! and db) on the SSL drive?
How big is your page file?
What exact build of ACT! (from Help | About)?
Are you linked to Outlook (if so, which version)?
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Vaughan,

Do you have this issue with the demo database? Also when was the last time you ran maintenance your database? How many ringing alarms do you have when you first start ACT! Do you have thousands of cleared activities you haven't purged?

Also what virus protection are you running, is it scanning ACT! when you first open it?

These are all things I would be checking, I have ACT! 2011 40,000 contacts and it took 19 seconds to open and that's with me havening to put my password in.

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Highlighted

Hi Kurt,

Well that process was an abject failure!

I closed my datbase. I tried to open the ACT2010demo.pad database and got a message that the file needed to be updated to suit the version of ACT I was now using. Remember I had upgraded from ACT! v6 to ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.

I now get the error Act Schema update failed.

The system cannot find the file specifiedClick OK to continue   (note this is on one line without punctuation)

The application then send you into an extremely annoying series of loops where it wants to update the database file, but when you do this it errors with the Act Schema error. Only way out is to cancel the process.

See what I mean about this software being a piece of (insert expletive of you choice here)!

To answer your other points, Database maintenance was performed a couple of days ago without error.

I am running Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0.4000.2295 antivirus protection with definitions updated yesterday.

Antivirus is set to run automatically when a file is accessed. I don't know how to disable that in Symantec EP but I'm not sure my SysAdmin would want me to fiddle with it anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by activities that are purged. I get no alarms when I start the app.