Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Patching ACT! 2010 to use Outlook 2010

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Patching ACT! 2010 to use Outlook 2010

After replacing the xml file to get ACT contacts available to Outlook, and everything working as expected for months, a recent update (or something similar) caused a disconnect. When trying to set up e-mail in ACT, Outlook doesn't;t appear as an option, and Outlook can't see the ACT database. The error message results tell me to uninstall and reinstall ACT, but with a ton of add-ons involved, that would probably take weeks, and many of the add-ons would likely never work right again. Surely there is another way to fix this. I still can't believe Sage hasn't issued a permanent fix. I run a non-profit trade association, and keeping all these incompatible versions of everything coordinated is an unbelievable hassle and expense. Other than Quickbooks, I have never had so many issues with incompatibility with products so near the same publication dates. A shortcut would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mwh1962
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Patching ACT! 2010 to use Outlook 2010

You can purchase an addon to achieve this from http://www.designr1.com/shop/act-word-2010/
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

They're not really near the same product dates... Outlook 2010 was released some 8-9 months after ACT! 2010 and required more changes to the code than could be done in a simple patch.

It's why, even after updating the XML, many items don't properly integrate
Copper Contributor

Just about everyone else I do business with considers products realsed with one year to qualify as close to the same date. In fact, most products published within two years of one another get along fine, with the two exceptions of ACT! and QuickBooks, and even QB doesn't require changing a bunch of add-ons with such regularity. My point was that the patch worked for months, then stopped. I suppose it was an Outlook update that invalidated the patch, and Sage won't do anything about it except advise me to upgrade to 2011, which probably won't work with any of my add-ons, which will all have to be updated, as well, with the resulting cost well beyond my budget for three years' worth of software upgrades. I think I'll start looking for another solution to keeping membership records...

Platinum Elite Contributor

It is not always easy, when releasing a software product, to make sure that it will work with products that will be released in a year's time.

It might be just that the preferences file got damaged ... have you tried re-applying the XML patch?
Solution
Accepted by topic author mwh1962
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

You can purchase an addon to achieve this from http://www.designr1.com/shop/act-word-2010/
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Copper Contributor

Thanks very much!

The add-on worked perfectly, with no issuesduring installation of after. This just shows how little Sage cares about their customers; if an outside company can offer a fix for twnety bucks and make money on it, it is obvious to me that the publisher is interested much more in short-term profit than it is in building relationships. Hmmmm; isn't that what the software is for?