Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outside access to ACT! by Sage

Outside access to ACT! by Sage

Good day, all.  I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I can't find any solid information on it, so now I'm asking. 

We're currently running ACT! by Sage 2010.  Not the "premium" edition, nor the "corporate" edition.  Just the plain, basic version.  Anyway,  I know ACT! uses a custom SQL express database, and I know they heavily restrict access to said database.  All I want to do is get read access to our .adf database so I can do more comprehensive reporting using Crystal Reports.  Why is this so hard to come by?  I've already paid an arm and a leg for the software, and since I can already read (and write) to the database from the within the program, I don't see how it's such a big deal to provide outside READ access to the customer.

That's it.  That's all I want.  And although I see posts about this for the premium or corporate editions, I don't know if this is POSSIBLE with the basic edition.  Can someone PLEASE give me a straight answer on this?  THANKS!!!

Employee

Re: Outside access to ACT! by Sage

Hi Iwinstead,

Welcome to the Act! online community.

Regardless of which version you're using you have access to the OLEDB 2.0 reporting provider that will give you read access to the data in SQL and allow you to report data using Crystal or basically any other reporting product.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Silver Contributor

In Crystal Reports, File, New, Blank Report

Create New Connection, Chose OLE/DB (ADO)

From here depending on the version of aCT you have you will see one or two providers, either ACT OLE Provider (1 or 2)

After that, you will need to put the full path to your ACT database pad file including the pad file.

After this you are connected.  You will see a great many tables to link. but you are connected

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Silver Contributor

I get this question a lot, so I did a short video on our blog. Hope that helps.

(Connecting ACT to Crystal Reports)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider