Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook was working, then it quit

Outlook was working, then it quit

Good day all.  This is my first entry.  This may take a while, so grab a cold one.  I have two computers, both desktops in my home office.  They are networked together, but no-one else has acess to them.  The Old one is a Dell from 2007 running Windows 7.  The new one is an HP running Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) at 3 GB speed.  I had ACT version 13 running on the old computer with no problems other than operating speed.  The new computer has two screens.  I called ACT Sales a few days ago and asked if Version 13 would run on Windows 8.1.  They did not ask if it was 64 bit and told me that it would work.  I asked for a link to download Version 13 and they sent me one.  I installed the link and created a new database (DB).  I then set up the link between ACT and Outlook 2013.  I created two email templates to send emails to my 58 contacts.  All went well for the first 42 contacts.  Then, ACT decided to allow me to select an email template (same as before).  The Merge icon came on and then nothing.  I am still able to send email messages without a template, but I cannot send email templates.  I have verified that the templates are correct.  I have gone through the email setup routine again with no change.  Sometimes when I try to exit ACT, I get a message that there are open files, sometimes not.  I have uninstalled and re-installed ACT with no change.  I called a friend of mine who is very good with ACT.  He asked me what version of ACT I was running and I was very surprised to find that the ACT sales rep had actually sent me a link to download Version 16.  As part of my troubleshooting, I backed up the DB in the new computer into a Zip file and copied it to the old computer.  When I tried to restore the new DB to the old computer it told me to use "Restore As" which I did with no problem and no error messages or warnings.  Now the old computer is also running Version 16 and if I try to open any of my old DBs I get a message telling me that the DB needs to be updated.  My friend also aksed me if Version 16 was registered.  Upon installation of the link, I entered the serial number from the Version 13 DB into the new computer and it took it with no problem.  As far as I can tell I am now running a registered copy of Version 16.  In looking at the Knowledge Base and the Community messages, I have found that ACT does not support using Outlook running on a 64 Bit Operating System.  Is there an upgrade or patch that needs to be installed to make the connection to Outlook work?  Did I do something wrong?  Thanks for any help with this.  Sorry this is so long, but all of the details may be necessary to solve the problem.

Dan Wilson...

Re: Outlook was working, then it quit

Good day all.  I have fixed the problem.  Answer ID 37366 fixed it.  Although the steps were not truely accurate, I was able to get through them.  One step missing is to go through the email setup process in ACT again after doing all the steps in 37366.  It is now working.  At least now if it happens again, I know I can get it working again.  Apparently no-one wanted to answer this one.