Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook sync duplication

Outlook sync duplication

I'm a new user ACT running 2011 Pro on Windows 7 32-bit.  I use Outlook 2007 without an Exchange server.  Outlook connects via IMAP to company server for email only, for what that's worth.

My goal is to simply sync contacts between Act and Outlook but what I get is mixed bag of results, most of which are frustrating.  

I first set up the contacts (about 3000) by importing an Excel file into ACT then exporting a csv from ACT and importing that into Outlook.  That all worked fine and test modifications in ACT and Outlook updated in both directions.  But recently all the contacts in Outlook were duplicated, the only difference being the phone number for one contact began with a +1, the other original contact did not have teh +1.

So I deleted the Outlook contacts, exported the csv from ACT and imported again into Outlook.  Today, ACT contacts were duplicated with same +1 being the only difference.

I see sync'ing is a hot topic here on the forum.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is a third-party program needed to manage this process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook sync duplication

Why are you exporting csv from ACT! and importing to Outlook?
Just import to ACT! and the sync should send them to Outlook

If they are in both when you sync, they will do that.

Syncing Outlook with a mobile phone, Exchange or Google can also do this

When the Outlook contacts got duped, I tried a sync from ACT but nothing sent to Outlook.  

Before the duping started, I was syncing updates made in either program.  

Should I expect two-way sync to work without these issues?  Besides the help files, Is there a good reference on the subject?

Thanks for the reply.

What is the reason you want to sync?
Do you want to edit in both places?
Do you connect a phone to sync with Outlook (if so which)?

Ultimately, I'd like to sync Outlook with a Blackberry, with Outlook being the gatekeeper between BB and ACT.  Maybe that's too much to ask.  I'd be content with a reliable two-way sync between Outlook and ACT and one-way Outlook>>BB connection.

I suppose I should be thinking to maintain contacts in ACT only and forget Outlook contacts, since emailing from ACT through Outlook is easy.  I'm still a slave to the inbox...

To the original issue, should the sync between ACT and Outlook be straightforward or it just buggy?

Are there any good threads that discuss best practices with ACT and Outlook?

If you want to go to Blackberry, the only really reliable way is Handheld Contact. See:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/05/getting-act-on-your-phone.html

The issue with going via outlook is that when it sync with another system, it can arbitrarily change the ItemID - then ACT! sees them as new contacts/activities and dupes them.

Also, as you've seen, the sync doesn't properly deal with the country codes for phone numbers and can't properly link activities to contacts