Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook now running all the time in background?

Copper Contributor

Outlook now running all the time in background?

I've just installed Act! 2009 with integration into Outlook 2003.   Now I notice that there is an Outlook icon all the time by the clock, even when I've closed Outlook.  And my backup program tells me it cannot backup the Outlook file because it is in use by an application, even though I've closed Outlook. 

Is this to be expected once Act! is installed, or is there something out of the ordinary going on?

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook now running all the time in background?

No, it's not to be expected, and most likely is not ACT! related.  It might have been happening for a while, but just went unnoticed.  Do you have iTunes installed?  I used to have this issue with an iTunes plugin in Outlook.  If this might be a possibility, do the following:

In Outlook go to Tools>Options, click on the Other tab, then the Advanced Options button, then the COM Add-Ins... button.  Uncheck anything related to iTunes.

However, all that being said, I do still notice that the Outlook icon will hang around in the taskbar for a while after I close the app.  It does disappear after a while...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I came across this post which seems to say that others are experiencing the same issue.

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=18301

The post indicates Act! support was looking into the problem at the time.  Does anyone know if they have come up with a solution?

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 03-18-2009 08:42 AM
Tuned Listener

I have not received a reply to my request that Sage describe the circumstances under which the Outlook 2003 process does properly exit when you add an Act 2009 address book. The silence from Sage is deafening.

Despite days of work with a WinXP system built from scratch to test scenarios, I was unable to find a configuration that worked.

In a nutshell: Act 2009 is compatible with Outlook 2003 after adding an Act address book to Outlook if and only if your users manually kill the Outlook.exe process by launching Windows Task Manager or you purchase third party software to kill Outlook.exe. The suggestion that this is an Outlook problem and thus Act is somehow compatible with Outlook is nonsense.

The CEO put it succently, "Outlook worked before we switched to Act and now it doesn't. Don't tell me it's not a problem; fix it."

I've acknowledged this is an issue with certain environments in your previous posts.  Wea are aware of the issue and is currently under research.  As to which environments/updates/software, I do not know. 
Tuned Listener

David,

Thank you for the response. You've been more than helpful in sorting out other issues and none of this is directed at you. If I seem to be continually restating the obvious or not valuing your answers about the Outlook.exe probem, I do apologize for my persistance.

However, I interpret your responses to my posts about this issue as implying that Sage has or can create a system running Windows XP with Outlook 2003 configured for a POP email account and an Act address book and Outlook.exe does exit. Why this interpretation? Because of statements like, "this is an issue with certain environments". This implies that it is something mysterious about the various configurations I've tried so far. 

However, if the "certain environments" to which you refer include ALL installations running Windows XP with Outlook 2003 configured for a POP email account and an Act address book, then that's a different. If Sage cannot make this configuration work, then why would I even try to do so? I'll accept that as the final answer and move on. 

I'll also ask forum participants to help. Is anyone actually running Windows XP with Outlook 2003 configured for a POP email account and an Act address book and finding that Outlook.exe does exit? If so, I'd really appreciate a reply saying so. A hint about how you accomplished this magic would elevate you to wizard status.