Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook freezes since upgrading to ACT! 2011

Outlook freezes since upgrading to ACT! 2011

PC was running with the 2008 version of ACT! with Outlook 2003 just fine, once it was upgraded to the 2011 version is when the problems started.

The problem is when opening Outlook it will hang at send/receive for about 3 minutes, it will then slowly load into the inbox but will freeze and lock up for another minute or two.  If any incoming are received it will then freeze for another few minutes and then finally will be accessible in the inbox.

CPU usage is below 30%, thought it was a memory issue but just increased it to 4GB and we're still having these issues.  The version of Windows is XP Pro.

It's to the point where it's really causing an issue with daily work.  The only reason for the upgrade is because of the auto linking emails in the ACT history which the 2008 version does not support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Outlook freezes since upgrading to ACT! 2011

Hello CookMN,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

This issue may be due to your firewall and anti-virus software scanning the communication between Act! and Outlook.  Try adding exceptions to your firewall/anti-virus software and see if that helps resolve the delay.  For exceptions to add, visit this article: KB Article 25125

Is the database you are opening physically located on your computer or on a server?  You will want to add the exceptions to both machines if it is on a server.

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

Same problem with one of my customers.

They were running outlook 2003 and ACT 2009 with no problems.

After upgrading to 2011 outlook freezes on launch.

Outlook 2007 connected to the same database does not freeze.

I have tried disabling antivirus software, only using windows firewall and ACT's executable is an exception.

I was running Act 10 with Outlook 2007 and had no problems!

Now am I am running Act11 with Outlook 2007 and Outlook freezes as soon as I send an email or set up a task!

Disabling the communication between Act and Outlook solves the issue, but this is not the cure to the problem.

Please dear Sage people, find a solution to the problem, or I have to go back to Act 10 and return my version of Act 11 as I can't use it properly

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Marcimark,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Have you tried adding exceptions for ACT! and SQL to your anti-virus software?  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Same problem.  Made exceptions to Firewall and Anti-Virus. Problem seems to be the integration. Any other suggestions?

Bronze Contributor

My experience has generally found it is not a problem for most machines.

So how much RAM is on your machine and have you does the service pack updates for Office. Are there other add-ons running in Outlook whihc when combined with the ACT plugin this is the real cause of the problem?

Have you applied the ACT service packs and hotfixes?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I am having the same issue on Act 11 after updating.  Everylthing appears to be running fine and synching fine it is just Outlook when ever a calendar item is deleted or dismissed Outlook freezes.  I have tried everylthing I can think of and what has been suggested in varous threads here and on MS but to no avail.  Something is hanging it and I wonder if anyone has a suggestion.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 12 GB of Ram and all the updates have been loaded on Act and appear to be working fine except for this problem now with Outlook. 

I am not running any Kaspersy software only MS security essentials and have removed Malware which I was running.  I suppose one of those might be the culprit but I would not know where to start to check.

There is no problem if Act add in is dilsabled in Outlook but, of course, the trapping of email to the ACT database no longer works so that is not a good optioin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bronze Contributor

Bob there are many reasons why this does happen and I have found the best way is to disable/uninstall both antivirus and firewall and see if the problem goes away. This might help to diagnose a little easier.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks have tried that.  The issue is specific to just the calendar in outlook.  For some reason I can put appointments on the calendar but if I trie to delete one Outlook freezes. Or, if I put a reminder pop up on Outlook and it pops up Outlook freezes.  This does not hapen if I turn off the Act Add In or run in safe mode.   All this happened after updating with all the hotfixes and updates to the get current.