Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook does not shut down

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Outlook does not shut down

When closing down ACT! 2009 and then closing down Outlook 2003, the Outlook will not shutdown. It continues to run until I use Ctrl--Alt-Del and shut down the Outlook.exe process. Even this takes 30 seconds or more to finally shut down. This only started when I added ACT! to my system. Is there something else I should be doing in the setup to fix this?

G

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author graysarge
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook does not shut down

I'm getting a similar problem. Only for me, the Outlook interface shuts down, it's just the Outlook.exe process that continues running until I manually stop it. Then when I start Outlook again, it tells me it has to check the data file as there was an error when shutting down (or something like that).

I know that Outlook often leaves itself open like this, and I've read that this can be due to various add-ins. But I've found that it happens less often if I shut down ACT! before shutting down Outlook.

Note, however, that I've recently been having other problems with the ACT outlook addin. Supposedly running out of memory. Perhaps they're related. I'm posting another thread on that.

Cheers.

Glenn Murray 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author graysarge
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I'm getting a similar problem. Only for me, the Outlook interface shuts down, it's just the Outlook.exe process that continues running until I manually stop it. Then when I start Outlook again, it tells me it has to check the data file as there was an error when shutting down (or something like that).

I know that Outlook often leaves itself open like this, and I've read that this can be due to various add-ins. But I've found that it happens less often if I shut down ACT! before shutting down Outlook.

Note, however, that I've recently been having other problems with the ACT outlook addin. Supposedly running out of memory. Perhaps they're related. I'm posting another thread on that.

Cheers.

Glenn Murray 

This problem has not gone away. I have not yet been able to find a solution and it's only using Ctrl-Alt-Del and closing down the process can I stop this.
Copper Contributor

Not sure if my resolution will be much help, given your original post, but the solution for me is to always close ACT first. So long as I do that, Outlook almost always shuts down correctly. But I'm using Outlook 2007. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn. I have tried doing that but it seems to have not effect. I was getting actually two copies of Outlook 2003 running that would not close down, but discovered that ITunes had placed an addon into Outlook. My research on the web found that problem was happening and once I removed the addon (which was apparently not needed) that one went away. I also have the problem of the "reminders" screen not closing along with the process still running even after I manually close the reminders window. I have removed and reinstalled Outlook...have repaired it. Pretty much everything that people have suggested. Thanks again.

Gary

Copper Contributor

Sorry. No idea then! Good luck with it. I know it's frustrating. If all else fails, perhaps upgrade to Office 2007?

Thanks...don't have any reason to spend that much on Office 2007 when I really don't see any features that I can't live without...and I have not heard great things about that upgrade. I only recently went back to ACT with the new version. I had stopped using ACT (after using it for a lot of years) right after Symantec took it over and started messing it up. I tried 2006 and sent it back. The product had gotten way to burdensome with too much overhead on the computer. So far I am much happier with the 2009 version, and this seems to be the only probelm I have seen that just won't go away. Hopefully Sage will find a solution. I'm pretty sure it's Act related since it only began after I installed the new Act.

Gary

Tuned Listener

Hi,

I am also having this problem between Outlook 2003 and Sage Act 2008 (v10) or even v11.

In my case, it seems my choices are:

Remove Act! address book plug-in for Outlook

or

Remove Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (or even version 7).

I elected to remove the Act! address plug-in for Outlook while Sage investigates this one.

Ken

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

It has been 1 year and there is still no fix to this problem???.

Surely there are lots of users wanting to use Outlook, Act and Kaspersky together.

Message Edited by andrewt on 10-21-2009 02:50 AM