Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook does not appear as an email client choice in: Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Outlook does not appear as an email client choice in: Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync

I recently moved my Act database (Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 7) and Outlook 2010 (32 bit version) to a new laptop. I installed MS Office Professional 2010 first then ACT!. I am running Windows 10 Professional.

When I went to ACT Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync, Outlook does not show as a choice. I clicked on the Email System Setup button and got an error, (see attached screen shot file) which says: that ACT has verified that I have Outlook installed and offers to repair (Act OulookRepair.exe). It opens a cmd wand runs Act OulookRepair.exe. At the end of this cmd window session says that it has been repaired. It tells me to restart ACT. When I restart ACT, and go to Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync, the same problem exists.. 

I read that I can copy an Outlook configuration file from my old ACT setup on my old laptop, which will solve this problem. Is this so? If it is, can anyone tell me what this file is called, and what ACT sub-directory it is in? Also can you tell me what sub directory to copy it to , in my new ACT director?

Another solution I've heard of is to reinstall Outlook again.(over the copy on my laptop). Is this a solution?

Thanks for any problem solving solutions anyone may offer.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author HaroldSJS
‎09-23-2019 06:01 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook does not appear as an email client choice in: Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync

[ Edited ]

As is typical when looking to solve an obscure comparability issues, most reply's don't pan out. But I still thank everyone for taking an interest.

I found the solution to this issue! I recall reading years ago that, even though ACT! is 64 bit software, it is not compatible with 64 bit Outlook or Word (MS Office Profession 2010). I wondered if my new laptop (Windows 10 Pro) made the automatic decision to install the 64 bit version of MS Office Profession 2010 with out ever asking me what my preference was. It did indeed do that!

I uninstalled MS Office Profession 2010 and examined the registry for any trace references to MS Office Profession 2010 , and deleted all of them. I rebooted my laptop, installed the 32 bit version of MS Office Profession 2010, again rebooted. Went to ACT to set up my email and it sees Outlook as an email client choice.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook does not appear as an email client choice in: Tools, Preferences, Email & Outlook Sync

Did you already check if that works for another user on the same machine or not? If it does try deleting your current Windows profile and create a new one. That might resolve the issue.
Jan Teske
ACC
jbt consulting
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Harold

Try a repair of office 2010, reboot the machine and then see if the option is there. Also I'm sure there was an issue were the adal.dll was left in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\ folder which should be removed. If it's there delete the file.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your advice!

The on file like that with a similar name in C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows is AdalWrapper.dllAdal.dll is in:the following directories:

C:\Users\HaroldSchultz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.152.0801.0008

C:\act!_pro_v18_sp2x53\ACTSTD\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir

Neither of these directories are where the ACT application software is:. That software is in: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows.

Should I remove adal.dll from these two directories?

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your advice!

Tried that yesterday and nothing changed!

Nickel Super Contributor

Don't remove it from anywhere but the Act! install folder if it exists, as it is a legitimate file for windows. 

Copper Contributor

Does install order have a play in this?

I installed Outlook 2010 (MS Office Pro 21010) first, then ACT!

I reinstalled Outlook 2010 (MS Office Pro 21010) from the DVD using the repair option., after installing ACT!

Nickel Super Contributor

Yes Office needs to be on first, I'm not sure if doing the repiar from the CD is any different to the one in Programs and Features.

Have a look to make sure that Outlook is set as the default app for email.

Copper Contributor

Does Act.Outlook.Service.exe have a play in Act seeing Outlook?

I cheeked the folder and this file is associated with Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended v 9! I see the white and red icon attached to this file in the directory. This is an .executable file. I was under the impression that executable files can only be associated with the operating system (Windows 10 Pro). 

Can anyone help fix this, if this is in deed the issue?

Nickel Super Contributor

the Act.Outlook.Service wouldn't cause the issue where you canot see outlook as an option when  using the email setup wizard

The Act.Outlook.Service.exe is used for Act! to attach email history to the database