Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook.dll

Accepted Solution Solved
Avid Listener
Accepted Solution

Outlook.dll

I have been trying for weeks, without success, to use Act Email or Outlook e-mail from Act (Act 2008; Outlook 2007). I get an error message, "Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported," whenever I click the e-mail icon on the toolbar. I notice that the size of outlook.dll in my Act directory is 0 bytes, and I wonder whether that can have anything to do with the problem. Should the .dll be larger than zero?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook.dll

Check out the following post:

Scroll to the bottom and read the post by Dmitry Streblechenko.  Dmitry wrote the Redemption.dll code which ACT! uses as a third-party component.

Anyway, it sounds like the likely cause is that you have both Outlook and Exchange versions of MAPI installed.  How to resolve that is a good question...here's another post with a bunch of technical details:

Do you have Exchange installed on the same machine?  Maybe check Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel and see if you have an old Exchange application installed.

Also, search your system for "MAPI".  Under both Vista and XP I have "mapi32.dll" installed under c:\windows\system32.  The file version is 1.0.2536.0.

HTH,
jason

p.s. I think you actually meant "Act.Outlook.dll"?  Which does appear to be 0kb in the media (and on my system) for ACT! 10.01 so you should be fine.
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Check out the following post:

Scroll to the bottom and read the post by Dmitry Streblechenko.  Dmitry wrote the Redemption.dll code which ACT! uses as a third-party component.

Anyway, it sounds like the likely cause is that you have both Outlook and Exchange versions of MAPI installed.  How to resolve that is a good question...here's another post with a bunch of technical details:

Do you have Exchange installed on the same machine?  Maybe check Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel and see if you have an old Exchange application installed.

Also, search your system for "MAPI".  Under both Vista and XP I have "mapi32.dll" installed under c:\windows\system32.  The file version is 1.0.2536.0.

HTH,
jason

p.s. I think you actually meant "Act.Outlook.dll"?  Which does appear to be 0kb in the media (and on my system) for ACT! 10.01 so you should be fine.
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Avid Listener

Thanks, Jason. I shall work on your recommendations. You are right: I meant Act.Outlook.dll. My version of mapi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 is 4.0.835.1374, dated 10/14/1996. The prior user on my PC had Novell Groupwise e-mail; my company "upgraded" to MS Exchange, but the Groupwise is still on my computer. Do you think that should be deleted?
Copper Contributor

Yeah, sounds like it's not compatible with that version of MAPI... just a guess though.

I'd try uninstalling it.  If that doesn't fix your problem you may have to reinstall Outlook after the bad MAPI is gone.
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Avid Listener

All the tears, all the suffering...gone! Thank you SO MUCH, Jason. The problem lay in my mapi32.dll being out of date. Following your posting your mapi32 version number, and seeing mine, I ran fixmapi, which restored it to the same version as you posted. Voila, ACT is now successfully using Outlook to send e-mails. Hugs and kisses to you!
Copper Contributor

Wahooo!!!  Now if only it were Friday!  Smiley Wink
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Tuned Listener

Jason, the first link you supplied does not work, could you please post again?  Thank you.