Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook crashing when accessing ACT! address book

Accepted Solution Solved
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

Outlook crashing when accessing ACT! address book

ACT! 2009 Version 11.0.0.367 with Outlook 2003 SP3. Everything was integrated and working fine for a year. Today, Outlook starting crashing, (freezing) when I attemt to access the ACT! Address Book to select a Contact to forward an email. (By clicking on the address book icon next to "TO".)

I deleted the ACT! Address Book from Outlook and choose to use the Outlook Address Book. Outlook works fine then.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author barrygou
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Outlook crashing when accessing ACT! address book

I spent 2 hours on the phone with ACT! tech support. We discovered that I had 3 "bad" email addresses in my database. Bad as in, this example:  johnsmith@act.cm    Noticed I left the letter "o" out of the .com. That is considered a bad email addess. It doesn't matter what is in front of the @ but the entered data after the @ has to be correct. On another email address I left the "e" out of dot net. So the Sage tech support person scanned all of the 2,000 email addresses and found 3 that were bad.

Apparantly, when ACT! is integrated with Outlook, Outlook is scanning the ACT! Address Book and sees bad email addresses and considers the Address Book to be corrupted so my Outlook was shutting itself down during incoming emails.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

So this sounds like you solved your own problem?  If so, could you kindly mark this thread as solved?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Nickel Contributor

No, not at all. I cannot use the ACT! Address Book or the ACT! Outlook / Integration feature.
Nickel Elite Contributor

So everything was working up until some point, what changed on your machine between it working and not working?  Did you install any updates or new software?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Solution
Accepted by topic author barrygou
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

I spent 2 hours on the phone with ACT! tech support. We discovered that I had 3 "bad" email addresses in my database. Bad as in, this example:  johnsmith@act.cm    Noticed I left the letter "o" out of the .com. That is considered a bad email addess. It doesn't matter what is in front of the @ but the entered data after the @ has to be correct. On another email address I left the "e" out of dot net. So the Sage tech support person scanned all of the 2,000 email addresses and found 3 that were bad.

Apparantly, when ACT! is integrated with Outlook, Outlook is scanning the ACT! Address Book and sees bad email addresses and considers the Address Book to be corrupted so my Outlook was shutting itself down during incoming emails.

Copper Elite Contributor

I have this exact same problem using ACT! 2010 with Outlook 2007. I went through all of my email addresses, found less than a dozen "bad" addresses, and fixed them and am still getting this problem. Is there a tool out there than can scan email addresses and find the problem, or other suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

Yes. There is a great little add-on called "Lookup Bad Emails". I used it with my last version of ACT! but I contacted them when I upgraded to version 12 (2010) and they said it was not available for 12. I'm going to check with them today to ask if it now works with 12. PS - I no longer have issues with OUtlook crashing with V 12. Although, I don't have Outlook configured to automatically place incoming emails into the History tab by setting up Rules in Outlook. (I used to do this.) I now just weekly, manually, "Quick Attach" emails to Contacts in my Otlook Inbox.

http://www.adsprogramming.com/products.htm

Copper Elite Contributor

Sounds like this is something I need to avoid headaches. Can you please post as soon as you find out if this now works with ACT! 2010? Thanks!
Copper Elite Contributor

I called the AddOn Store and they told me that the LookUpBadEmails utility does NOT work with ACT! 2010.

On another note, I get the same exact crashing using the demo database, so the problem is not with my email addresses.

Nickel Contributor

I found that my Outlook 2007 acted sluggish when I set up Rules to automatically place Incoming emails from Contacts into the Contact History. So I now just do it manually. Every Monday morning I "attach" all of the prior week's emails in my Inbox to Contacts. I highlight 10 to 15 at a time in the Inbox and click on "Quick Attach". It works fine. Just don't try to do a very large amount at one time. The process drags along and may "hang".